Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfortunately, we are moving towards a streaming model, which stinks because the quality will always be noticeably lower.
    The last fan of 1990s comics
    Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

• Originally posted by InterestingJohn View Post
      Ugh, just buy their special pack and watch the blu-ray at a friend's house or wait until you eventually have a blu-ray player, that's what I'm going to do. It's not really a big deal.
      I'm never going to have a Blu-Ray player, though. I don't like them. (I'm not even sure I know anybody that has one whose house I could watch it at.)

It ISN'T that big a deal, in this case, mainly because I'm not all that jazzed about the GL movie. If I could actually pick up an extended version that I could WATCH AT HOME, I likely would have made the purchase. Now, no, they've lost that sale, as the movie I saw in the theater just wasn't that great, and they've pissed me off by making an extended cut only available for people who have the overpriced, gimmick player.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robinson View Post
        Well since BD discs are more expensive then if they are able to get more people to upgrade they those customers will eventually stop buying solo dvd's and therefore more money in the studios pocket. Its long term business strategy. Also just because someone doesnt have a BD player connected to the tv doenst necessarily mean they dont have BD at all, while its still not commonplace there are alot of computers that now have BD drives so that gives comsumers and option as well.
        I still think its a BAD long-term business strategy, since I don't think Blu-Ray has a good long-term outlook, with streaming probably being the future.

Comment

• Since when are BRD players overpriced? What is this, 2006?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
            I'm never going to have a Blu-Ray player, though. I don't like them. (I'm not even sure I know anybody that has one whose house I could watch it at.)

It ISN'T that big a deal, in this case, mainly because I'm not all that jazzed about the GL movie. If I could actually pick up an extended version that I could WATCH AT HOME, I likely would have made the purchase. Now, no, they've lost that sale, as the movie I saw in the theater just wasn't that great, and they've pissed me off by making an extended cut only available for people who have the overpriced, gimmick player.
            Admittedly, I've been against Blu-Ray from the start, but at $100, it's not really "overpriced" anymore, that's pretty affordable.

Comment

• We could have still had DVD when the whole format war was going on between Blu-Ray and HD DVD. Sales and stats showed the more people went with BluRay and the HD DVD went bye bye. It's the price you pay for people who want to see every pore on every face in their movies. Nowadays people want their picture so crisp and clear and perfect that they not only wanna hear that Tom Hanks has AIDS in Philadelphia they want to be able to see the damn virus floating around in his body without the need of an xray.
              I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Admittedly, I've been against Blu-Ray from the start, but at $100, it's not really "overpriced" anymore, that's pretty affordable.
                It's $100 more than it costs to just keep my perfectly good DVD player. Plus the jacked-up prices on all the movies. Plus, realistically, the price of a better TV to actually take best advantage of the supposed "improvement" in quality (which, as I've said, I can definitely SEE the difference, but I just don't LIKE it).

Comment

It's $100 more than it costs to just keep my perfectly good DVD player. Plus the jacked-up prices on all the movies. Plus, realistically, the price of a better TV to actually take best advantage of the supposed "improvement" in quality (which, as I've said, I can definitely SEE the difference, but I just don't LIKE it).
                  So basically, you just don't want to buy anything new. That's the meat-and-potatoes of it.

Comment

• BRD prices are not "jacked up." They actually cost less than DVDs at the same point in their lifespan. Even at launch, DVDs averaged $40, and BRDs averaged $35. Nowadays, there's no reason you'd ever need to pay more than $15 for a regular BRD movie. (Boxsets and stuff don't count, obviously.) If you're paying more than that, find another store.
                    Originally posted by InterestingJohn View Post
                    That's the meat-and-potatoes of it.
                    Mmmm...meat and potatoes.

Comment

So basically, you just don't want to buy anything new. That's the meat-and-potatoes of it.
                      Riiiiight. No. There are many new things I would LOVE to buy. Some I do, some I don't because I don't have the cash. I bought a DVR so I could record stuff easier and better quality than my VCR (and more conveniently than a DVD recorder). I happily upgrade my computer whenever I can afford it. But Blu-Ray, I don't buy because I don't like the way it looks. Given that fact, nobody has presented me with a single reason, intrinsic to the technology (so not counting artificially created "advantages" like additional content that COULD just as easily be put on a DVD version), why it would be an improvement. I don't buy new stuff JUST because it's new.

Comment

Riiiiight. No. There are many new things I would LOVE to buy. Some I do, some I don't because I don't have the cash. I bought a DVR so I could record stuff easier and better quality than my VCR (and more conveniently than a DVD recorder). I happily upgrade my computer whenever I can afford it. But Blu-Ray, I don't buy because I don't like the way it looks. Given that fact, nobody has presented me with a single reason, intrinsic to the technology (so not counting artificially created "advantages" like additional content that COULD just as easily be put on a DVD version), why it would be an improvement. I don't buy new stuff JUST because it's new.
                        AMEN!

Comment

• To be honest, I buy Blu-Ray for the audio improvement. People go on about the crispness of the HD format in terms of video. But to me, the audio improvements are much more drastic than the video.

Go watch Kick-Ass on blu-ray then on DVD (which I've done), then tell me there isn't a massive improvement in the audio quality.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

• Hear hear. (No pun intended.) All around, it's just a vastly improved cinematic experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                              Unfortunately, we are moving towards a streaming model, which stinks because the quality will always be noticeably lower.
                              Physical media won't go away anytime soon. People will always want something tangible. People will always want to feel and see something they own.

Green since 1974!

Comment

I gave him solid suggestions on ways that he can see how blu-ray is intended to look without actually buying any equipment. He can change setting in stores. If he chooses to not do this they I would intend to agree with you, he's would be resistant to trying something different.

Green since 1974!

Comment

Working...
                                X