Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i cant think of any, we used to have a lot in Chula Vista and a few in el cajon.

Comment

• Originally posted by EmeraldGamer View Post
      So..i went to Box Office Mojo...did I read that right?? Green Lantern jumped +271% for Aug. 12th - 18th ???? Please discuss.....
      http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...eenlantern.htm

+271% sound good, but that's because the week before totals were pretty low.

The Weekly gross for the week (Aug 5-11) before was $171,109
      The Weekly gross for the week (Aug 12-18) was $634,559

Thus the +271%, which is only $463,450. Green Lantern has only grossed $115,265,760 domestically. While Thor is at $181,018,679 and Captain America is at $165,200,175.

Green Lantern Foreign total is $78,600,000

Thor foreign total is $267,166,560

Captain America foreign total is $147,000,000

Thus global (Domestic+Foreign) totals:

Green Lantern = $193,865,760

Thor = $448,185,239

Captain America = $312,200,175

Originally posted by JerzeyJ View Post
      I believe the jump was not from international ticket sales, but instead from the fact that the movie made its way into the "budget" theaters.
      I believe this is the case.

If you look at the link I posted above, the week before Green Lantern was in 108 theaters. During the week of the +271% jump, it was in 242 theaters.

These numbers are domestic only.
      You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Strangely Watchmen had a bigger opening weekend than GL (without 3d if I remember correctly), but made less domestically, of course Watchmen suffered from WB's misleading marketing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
          http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...eenlantern.htm

+271% sound good, but that's because the week before totals were pretty low.

The Weekly gross for the week (Aug 5-11) before was $171,109
          The Weekly gross for the week (Aug 12-18) was $634,559

Thus the +271%, which is only $463,450. Green Lantern has only grossed $115,265,760 domestically. While Thor is at $181,018,679 and Captain America is at $165,200,175.

Green Lantern Foreign total is $78,600,000

Thor foreign total is $267,166,560

Captain America foreign total is $147,000,000

Thus global (Domestic+Foreign) totals:

Green Lantern = $193,865,760

Thor = $448,185,239

Captain America = $312,200,175

I believe this is the case.

If you look at the link I posted above, the week before Green Lantern was in 108 theaters. During the week of the +271% jump, it was in 242 theaters.

These numbers are domestic only.
          Thank you for doing the leg work.

Comment

• The DVD will feature an "extended cut." There's no specific information (length, content) but that's a hopeful sign anyway. I'd like to see the missing material.

Comment

• Originally posted by Medphyll View Post
              The DVD will feature an "extended cut." There's no specific information (length, content) but that's a hopeful sign anyway. I'd like to see the missing material.
              Some people on here have been saying the exctended cut will add 14min to the film. But what those 14mins will contain is the mystery

Comment

• The DVD won't see an extended cut, but the blu-ray will.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrumsey View Post
                  The DVD won't see an extended cut, but the blu-ray will.
                  Which is completely obnoxious, frankly. There are still an AWFUL LOT of people out there without Blu-Ray players. What possible justification do they have for limiting the extended cut to Blu-Ray? There certainly isn't any reason that said cut is somehow dependent on the capabilites of Blu-Ray.

Comment

• Its all built around getting people to buy blu ray players, the more exclusives they shove onto the blu ray then people will want to get their moneys worth and upgrade to blu ray.

Comment

• And that is why the put more stuf on the Blu Ray to force people to make the change. Think of it in terms of videogames. Backward compatability is a thing of the past so they can force you to buy the newer system. When I worked at Blockbuster and DVDs were just becoming popular they made us throw out almost all the video tapes thus forcing customers to have to make the switch. Hell they even sent us DVD players to sell. Capabilities have nothing to do with it. It's money plain and simple.

Another example: I had the G1 cell phone from Tmobile. The second the G2 came out they stopped making everything for the G1 and even prevented people from being able to buy it by removing from the site and stores.
                      I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robinson View Post
                        Its all built around getting people to buy blu ray players, the more exclusives they shove onto the blu ray then people will want to get their moneys worth and upgrade to blu ray.
                        Why would the movie studio care if people buy Blu-Rays? They just want people to buy their movies. Are they getting kickbacks from the Blu-Ray guys? Since for every household that has a Blu-Ray, there are like FOUR that only have DVD, why wouldn't they want to make the DVD version of the movie as attractive as possible? Why intentionally alienate the VAST majority of people that have either decided Blu-Ray isn't worth it, or that they don't have the money to invest in tech upgrades to actually make it worthwhile? This isn't some special feature, this is an actual (supposedly) improved cut of the movie. What is the advantage in telling the majority of your potential customers that they don't rate the improved version of your film?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                          Why would the movie studio care if people buy Blu-Rays? They just want people to buy their movies. Are they getting kickbacks from the Blu-Ray guys? Since for every household that has a Blu-Ray, there are like FOUR that only have DVD, why wouldn't they want to make the DVD version of the movie as attractive as possible? Why intentionally alienate the VAST majority of people that have either decided Blu-Ray isn't worth it, or that they don't have the money to invest in tech upgrades to actually make it worthwhile? This isn't some special feature, this is an actual (supposedly) improved cut of the movie. What is the advantage in telling the majority of your potential customers that they don't rate the improved version of your film?
                          Welcome to the world of "business"
                          I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

• Ugh, just buy their special pack and watch the blu-ray at a friend's house or wait until you eventually have a blu-ray player, that's what I'm going to do. It's not really a big deal.

Comment

• Given how many people are starting to skip the disc altogether (to me digital seems like the wave of the future) I think the Blu-Ray folks are DREAMING if they really think they can significantly improve their household presence through such obnoxious tactics. After all this time, only like 15% of households have a Blu-Ray. I'm kind of doubting that there is ANY WAY it will EVER reach the levels that the DVD-player has reached.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                                Well since BD discs are more expensive then if they are able to get more people to upgrade they those customers will eventually stop buying solo dvd's and therefore more money in the studios pocket. Its long term business strategy. Also just because someone doesnt have a BD player connected to the tv doenst necessarily mean they dont have BD at all, while its still not commonplace there are alot of computers that now have BD drives so that gives comsumers and option as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X