Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe we should do a show critiquing her little dog and pony show but I couldn't even make it through one webisode, much less 9 more. LOL

Comment

• I listened for about a minute and a half. Even if she wasn't annoying, she sounded too negative anyway. She would just find a reason to crap on every second of the film. The movie may not have been great, but it doesn't mean every element failed. E.g., there's nothing wrong (contra her review) with the opening narration. That's a common technique in film and in a movie with as complex a mythology as GL, I think it was the best choice. In fact, I think they did a good job of keeping it simple and Rush's voice gave it some extra class.

Comment

• You know she is right about films having opening narration. When it does, it seems to almost always be destined to fail (original Blade Runner, Dune ETC).

Comment

• I love the Dune narration! I've heard several complaints about Lynch's Dune, but that was never one of them (maybe the internal monologuing, but not the princess' narration).

There's also Highlander (Connery's great opening words). To me, it's just the verbal equivalent of Star Wars' opening scrawl. When I hear that in Dune or GL it's saying "you are about to enter a new universe..."; makes it feel epic to me.

Comment

• Highlander also flopped when it was first released, although it did gain a cult following, which was enough to result in a sequel.

In general having narration at the beginning of a big sci-fi/fantasy adventure, is not a good sign. It means that the producers don't think that the audience will understand what the hell is going on.

Comment

• Well, there are non-flops like Sunset Boulevard, but that's different.

Actually, it would be interesting to find out if the opening narration was intended (like in Highlander) or forced by the studio (like in Bladerunner). That does make a difference.

Comment

• The opening narration in Highlander is awesome only because of Sean Connery's narration.

Comment

• Opening narration is a hit or miss thing with me. Sometimes it works very well, and other times it comes off cheesy and campy. I think it also works better for dramas than action/sci fi. At least generally.

Comment

• John Carter had an opening narration and it was completely unnecessary just like GL. It definitely works best with dramas, and tends to be useless with the sci-fi movies.

Comment

• John Carter was much better than GL mind you (I admit I was a little unhappy when I saw GL). I did feel that opening narration was unnecessary however.
                      Mister.Weirdo
                      Guardian of the Universe
                      Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 03-12-2012, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• Well if GL didn't have the opening narration, then no one would know wtf was going on in the Parallax escpae scene. Thor had an opening narration and it didn't do too bad.
                        Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

• i, for one, think the opening to GL was fine, it told n00bs what's what and it set the story for those in the know

no harm no foul in my eyes

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

• Originally posted by IonFan View Post
                            i, for one, think the opening to GL was fine, it told n00bs what's what and it set the story for those in the know

no harm no foul in my eyes
                            I agree...I mean..everyone knows about Batman or Superman. But with GL..he's not a well known super hero to non comic readers so you would need some kind of narrative intro. How many people here have heard in reference to GL from other people..."Oh...I heard you're a fan of the Green Hornet." that always bugged me.

Comment

• Everyone always forgets that the Donner Superman movie even had a bit of a narration at the beginning...

Comment

• Originally posted by EmeraldGamer View Post
                                I agree...I mean..everyone knows about Batman or Superman. But with GL..he's not a well known super hero to non comic readers so you would need some kind of narrative intro.
                                I don't think it is NEEDED, not in an origin movie, because Hal doesn't know squat about what a Green Lantern is, or the history of the Green Lantern Corpsm, either, and we could be learning along with him throughout the movie.

That said, I didn't have a problem with the fact that there was an opening narration.

Comment

Working...
                                X