Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its like if somebody took away the webs and wall crawling from Spider-Man.

If you like generic heroes, then by all means keep pushing for them to be cardboard cut-outs from the 60's. I don't think HBO Max's GL or even the movie itself if it still gets made will be THAT geared towards children. If that's what they were worried about then we'd have got a shitty PG-13 Joker, Aquaman action figures in every Wal-Mart, etc.

The only time GL even *kinda* worked without constructs was the very early seasons of the Justice League cartoon, but eventually even they realized you can't have a GL who only makes energy beams and force bubbles and they corrected their mistakes. John Stewart was too boring, and if not for them tacking on a military backstory he would've been an even worse character in those earlier episodes.

It would be easier to ask for a character like the Ray to get reimagined again instead of insisting they dumb another character down.

Comment

• Have two producers and two production crews. Have the four Lanterns get their rings in the two-part premiere story, then peel John off for Justice League and Kyle off for Titans.

The model would be the old Combat series, where Vic Morrow and Rick Jason alternated in the lead. Have an Earth episode one week with Hal, then a space episode the next week with Guy. The two would occasionally team up for an episode. Of course the format would be procedural, not serialized.

Most but not all Guy episodes would start with his receiving an assignment from the CPB, like the way the Mission: Impossible series opened.

I think a lot of writers have forgotten how to write a procedural, if they ever knew. But hey.

The big thing to remember is that unlike message-board mavens, television views don't know or give a shit about Green Lantern history. They won't throw a fit if Hal doesn't specifically get Abin Sur's ring, or something like that.

Which is good.
      Trey Strain
      Guardian of the Universe
      Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-27-2019, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
        The energy constructs ARE Green Lantern! What you could do is start off with Hal Jordan's "1950" boxing glove, brick wall, scissors, etc. Give the computers the time to make more complex constructs later in the series with John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, etc. Hal and Guy can just be Plain Janes until then. Guy has baseball bats, guns, lift platforms, etc.
        That's true. The rings aren't just weapons, but an extension of the wielder's personality. As in the case of Soranik making surgical implements, it's a key narrative device beyond just the battles.
        Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• It's a huge pile of Silver Age silliness that should have been junked long ago.

Let's see. Sinestro is an asshole, so he should make a giant anus with his ring that blasts his enemies with asphyxiating farts. Wouldn't that be COOL?

If Geoff had junked the ring constructs, everybody on the message boards would still be gushing about how he had brought Green Lantern into the modern world and had made it for grown-ups.
          Trey Strain
          Guardian of the Universe
          Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-30-2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Couldn't disagree more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
              Couldn't disagree more.
              Yeah, well. You could make a GL television show that's all about the ring constructs, and forty fanboys on the message boards would squeal with delight. But nobody would watch it.
              Trey Strain
              Guardian of the Universe
              Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-30-2019, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Why just the two extremes? No constructs or "all about the ring constructs"? You do know there's a gray area in-between that false binary?

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                  Why just the two extremes? No constructs or "all about the ring constructs"? You do know there's a gray area in-between that false binary?
                  Space Cop and Mr. Ed have said exactly that -- that Green Lantern is all about the ring constructs. And you yourself have said that the ring constructs are the only thing that differentiates GL from several other concepts.

I call hogwash on that. But in any case, either they're in the show or they're not. And if they're in, then every time a GL uses his ring, they're liable to pop up.

Here's the rub though: Anything a power ring can do with a ring construct, it can do just as well without one.

So what's the use of them? Why are they there?

If it's "I think they're cool," then you're entitled to think so. But I think they're the furthest thing from cool. I think they're stupid.

Conversely, if their purpose is to display the personality of the user, then the way to do that is through his behavior.

Have you been to the Qward forum lately? I've discussed the setting up of a television show over there. It's a complex process, with much to consider. The main thing to consider is how to attract enough viewers to stay on the air.

Sometimes the history of other shows can serve as a guide, but often you have to use your judgment about what will draw viewers and what will push them away. That's why it's an art and not a science.
                  Trey Strain
                  Guardian of the Universe
                  Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-30-2019, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                    It's a huge pile of Silver Age silliness that should have been junked long ago.
                    Doing away with the constructs might kill Green Lantern as a viable property in all forms of media. What makes Lantern stories special is their versatility. There are grounded stories where they fight without their rings or new users struggle to learn their powers. Conversely, veteran ring slingers come up with innovative ways to solve problems and take on top-tier powered villains. Take away the constructs, and the Corps becomes a homogenized group with powers that are more identifiable with other characters. It would absolutely gut the Green Lantern mythos.
                    Big Blue Lantern
                    Corps Honor Guard
                    Last edited by Big Blue Lantern; 01-01-2020, 04:51 AM.
                    Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• I’ve said that the ring constructs are a defining element of the character. I don’t think that’s the same thing as saying the comic is all about the constructs, but we could just be misunderstanding exactly what we mean by our respective statements.

Trey seems to be heavily invested in the idea that the presence of any constructs at all is unbearable, and makes the property into a goofy kiddie property. I don’t know that there is any solid evidence for that contention, just Trey’s personal sensibilities and anecdotal evidence about what he’s heard from various other individuals. Whereas I feel that the many, many years of Green Lantern, in various incarnations and by various creators, ALL of which have involved a ring that creates constructs based on the user’s thoughts, clearly establish that as an integral part of the concept. If that is really too kiddie and silly, then it seems to me that would mean that Green Lantern is intrinsically too kiddie and silly, and one would be better served to create a new concept than to change this one so drastically.

If Green Lantern can only succeed by eliminating a core element of the character, then it seems like one is really saying, “Green Lantern can’t succeed, but maybe we can make something different that can, then just stick the Green Lantern name on it for some reason, even though the only people to whom that name will be a draw are the people that liked the “kiddy” character that’s been around for decades.”
                      Mister Ed
                      Horse of a Different Color
                      Last edited by Mister Ed; 12-31-2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                        Trey seems to be heavily invested in the idea that the presence of any constructs at all is unbearable, and makes the property into a goofy kiddie property.
                        Comics were made for kids originally. Sounds to me like he's barely a fan of GL or any monthly comic for that matter and on the wrong forum. It's hilarious how somebody who doesn't read anything wants to trash the medium and specific titles on the regular. He might as well be one of those women who doesn't read comics but feels the need to bitch about how women are drawn in them like they DO read them.

And contrary to popular belief, you can only do so much with force bubbles and energy beams. It got old quick in the cartoons, it'd get old in comics and live action tv/movies just as fast. You can do a lot more with a fifty feet tall mecha. Seeing regular energy blast through a wall is nowhere near as appealing to the eye as a guy creating a giant bull, a half dozen firemen, or a green Kool-Aid guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
                          ...And contrary to popular belief, you can only do so much with force bubbles and energy beams. It got old quick in the cartoons, it'd get old in comics and live action tv/movies just as fast. You can do a lot more with a fifty feet tall mecha. Seeing regular energy blast through a wall is nowhere near as appealing to the eye as a guy creating a giant bull, a half dozen firemen, or a green Kool-Aid guy.
                          There have been a bunch of example in the comics. The ring has been used, for instance, to form a lock pick when blasting the door would be too loud. Soranik has made intricate surgical elements. Disguises. Tools. Etc.

Comment

And contrary to popular belief, you can only do so much with force bubbles and energy beams. It got old quick in the cartoons, it'd get old in comics and live action tv/movies just as fast. You can do a lot more with a fifty feet tall mecha. Seeing regular energy blast through a wall is nowhere near as appealing to the eye as a guy creating a giant bull, a half dozen firemen, or a green Kool-Aid guy.
                            Absolutely! As much as I appreciate the overall writing of the JL/JLU 'toon, it did John a huge disservice by never allowing him to create anything intricate. I often tell fans who love the show but who have never read the comics that they don't really know John. Yes, his personality was on-target and Lamarr's voice work was excellent, but the show rarely gave us any clue as to why he's known as the "Master Builder" in the DC Universe.

Comment

Comics were made for kids originally. Sounds to me like he's barely a fan of GL or any monthly comic for that matter and on the wrong forum. It's hilarious how somebody who doesn't read anything wants to trash the medium and specific titles on the regular. He might as well be one of those women who doesn't read comics but feels the need to bitch about how women are drawn in them like they DO read them.

That's one of the reasons that GL is my "go to" DC Comic. Even if I'm lukewarm to the latest DC event or even the current GL storyline, there are always Lanterns using the rings in new and interesting ways. If nothing else, GL always succeeds visually.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                              There have been a bunch of example in the comics. The ring has been used, for instance, to form a lock pick when blasting the door would be too loud. Soranik has made intricate surgical elements. Disguises. Tools. Etc.
                              Some of those moments where the rings are used to make things outside of weaponry are key parts of good stories. The example of Soranik's surgical implements is one of the best.

Comment

• Maybe some of you guys should forget about comics and think about creating a television series.
                                Trey Strain
                                Guardian of the Universe
                                Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-04-2020, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X