Announcing GREEN LANTERN ANNUAL #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tommy Boy View Post
    which reinforced by all the moody crap we had to sit through before Sinestro ripped him off a copy,

You mean that ONE ISSUE?! I don't think you can say "all" when it didn't even take up an entire issue before Hal was back with a green ring. And that "crap" was the closest thing to proper character development the book has seen in six years.

Comment

More punchy. Less talky.

Comment

It's my take that most of this has already gone down, but not exactly as the images show. Think about it for a sec.

Hal kills Krona, the "Renegade Guardian". Note the usage of the term in Atrocitus' vision. Note the Guardian's reaction to this, stripping the ring from Hal. Note the second box as Atrocitus tells Hal that the Guardians will take Hal's greatest love from him, which reinforced by all the moody crap we had to sit through before Sinestro ripped him off a copy, tells us pretty clearly (given the time frame) that Hals' greatest love at the time of this prophecy was the ring itself. All leading up to now as Highball lives on Sinestro's nutsack while the Guardians plot and scheme, the eventual outcome being Hal's "revolt" and his losing "everything as the universe divides" which HAS to be a reference to the coming Third Army and whatever events go down during that.

Just a thought, but it seems to make sense. The term "renegade" can't be a mistake or a coincidence, but it obviously couldn't be too much of a reveal that far back in the storyline. Hence why I think we're here and now.
        so your suggesting this is like a flashback scene to something that hasnt been shown before?
        .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
          so your suggesting this is like a flashback scene to something that hasnt been shown before?
          That panel is from GL #37, man. Back during Rage of the Red Lanterns. It's one of Atrocitus's visions of things to come. Back during GL #37, there's no way in hell they'd have shown Hal centerpunching Krona. Could they foreshadow it? Sure. Drop veiled hints? You betcha. Big Red's visions have been a great place for that. And the universe divided as mentioned in the last thought box?

Anyone find it coincidental that all this Pandora crap and alternate Earths is starting to really fire up? That and we have a panel with a newly costumed GL that Batman says ain't no Hal Jordan?

We're right smack dab in the middle of that vision from GL #37. We have to be. In hindsight, it makes a ton of sense.

Comment

I thought the teases were more like brainstorm sessions that they were sharing with us to be cute.

Comment

We're right smack dab in the middle of that vision from GL #37. We have to be. In hindsight, it makes a ton of sense.
              True, we can see it that way. But I don't buy for a second that Geoff Johns plans that far ahead. No one does.
              The last fan of 1990s comics
              Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                True, we can see it that way. But I don't buy for a second that Geoff Johns plans that far ahead. No one does.
                Oh, I think he DOES plan that far ahead. The problem is that, long before he gets to what he planned, he usually changes his mind about enough of it to make the orignal planning kind of useless. He doesn't have any problem with long-term planning, he just has a problem sticking to a plan in the long-term.

But I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility that on some occasion things might stay the same long enough for something to fit, somewhat, with a "prophetic" view.

Comment

I don't mean spitballing for the future. I meant actual solid plans. I don't believe Johns does that at all, especially since that's not the way the comics market works.

Comment

I don't mean spitballing for the future. I meant actual solid plans. I don't believe Johns does that at all, especially since that's not the way the comics market works.
                    Well, what I'm saying is, I think he sees the plans as solid enough when he makes them, since they often seem rather detailed (hence all the future visions). I think he just doesn't stick to them. Which, to my mind, would be fine IF he didn't seem to think foreshadowing was such a great idea.

Foreshadowing can be cool, flexible plans can work pretty well, but put the two together and you look kind of silly, IMHO.

Comment

Very true.

Comment

It's my take that most of this has already gone down, but not exactly as the images show. Think about it for a sec.

Hal kills Krona, the "Renegade Guardian". Note the usage of the term in Atrocitus' vision. Note the Guardian's reaction to this, stripping the ring from Hal. Note the second box as Atrocitus tells Hal that the Guardians will take Hal's greatest love from him, which reinforced by all the moody crap we had to sit through before Sinestro ripped him off a copy, tells us pretty clearly (given the time frame) that Hals' greatest love at the time of this prophecy was the ring itself. All leading up to now as Highball lives on Sinestro's nutsack while the Guardians plot and scheme, the eventual outcome being Hal's "revolt" and his losing "everything as the universe divides" which HAS to be a reference to the coming Third Army and whatever events go down during that.

Just a thought, but it seems to make sense. The term "renegade" can't be a mistake or a coincidence, but it obviously couldn't be too much of a reveal that far back in the storyline. Hence why I think we're here and now.
                        Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                        I thought the teases were more like brainstorm sessions that they were sharing with us to be cute.
                        So you guys don't think that when Johns made Parallax a Fear Entity he didn't plan out the rest of the spectrum too?

How about Green Lantern #25 back up when Lyssa Drax said Sinestro would become the greatest Green Lantern again...even if no one knows it.

Johns has given himself plenty of leeway, I just hope he actually uses it. The Origins and Omens in GLC showed Alan Scott and some other magic users captured by the Guardians but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I hope that Hal's prophecy still comes true. I can see the universe dividing between the Corps and the Guardians. And whether Hal's greatest love was his ring or Carol may have already been settled. He gave up the ring for Carol. I hope Johns doesn't let me down...

Comment

Originally posted by Corwin View Post
                          So you guys don't think that when Johns made Parallax a Fear Entity he didn't plan out the rest of the spectrum too?
                          When he was writing Rebirth? No, I don't actually think he had it planned out then. I kind of got the feeling that the spectrum occurred to him later, after he had established Parallax as an out for Hal in Rebirth. I have a hard time believing he could have resisted dropping any hints in Rebirth if he DID have it planned then, and I don't recall any.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                            When he was writing Rebirth? No, I don't actually think he had it planned out then. I kind of got the feeling that the spectrum occurred to him later, after he had established Parallax as an out for Hal in Rebirth. I have a hard time believing he could have resisted dropping any hints in Rebirth if he DID have it planned then, and I don't recall any.
                            Seriously?

#2 Batman "hoping is what you do best Clark (super man)"
                            #3 Ganthet "hope is meaningless against Fear....Willpower is our only weapon"
                            Kyle "There's an emotional electromagnetic spectrum out there that can be harnesses and used. Green, willpower is the most pure...."
                            #5 After Sinestro's ring shatters Hal "his power...just dying embers floating back into the spectrum."

Parallax "fear will spread through your precious sectors. my light. my color."

#6 Hector Hammond "what a wonderful tale of human condition. I know it well yes. I've listened to all of them across the globe. Rage. Sorrow. Depressions. Fear."

And there is tons of clues in the ongoing series building up to the Sinestro Corps War. It's what made me originally fall in love with Geoff's run.

Comment

#6 Hector Hammond "what a wonderful tale of human condition. I know it well yes. I've listened to all of them across the globe. Rage. Sorrow. Depressions. Fear."
                              This right here tells me he didn't have it all planned out. Sorrow and depression have nothing to do with the spectrum he later established. And while Rage is part of it now, originally it was Hate.

He may have had a nebulous idea of the concept, but no, I don't think he had plans for all these entities and Corps at that point.

Comment

#3 Ganthet "hope is meaningless against Fear....Willpower is our only weapon"
                                This is another telltale that he didn't have it planned out, given that Ganthet FOUNDS the Hope Corps, and as it turns out Hope is in fact extremely effective against fear...

Comment

Working...
                                X