X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thelma & Louise (1991)

Comment

• I saw both Happy Death Day movies in one day. Great cast, interesting premise, the sci-fi bits in the second one were a bit too much. Especially since one plot point is never resolved. Also, the (unrelated) sequel bait after the credits is taking this franchise even furhter into that sci-fi direction, which I don't like.

Comment

• Vault of Horror (1973)

"That's how it is and how it always will be."

It Comes at Night (2017)

"You can't trust anyone but family."

Dark and depressing. I probably won't re-watch it often, but it was quite good.

MST3K: The Touch of Satan (1971/1998)

"This is where the fish lives."

Comment

• Vault of Horror sounds familiar. Is that the one where: a man murders a woman and is killed in a vampire restaurant; an artist uses voodoo to murder via cursed drawings; a husband-wife murder Indian rope-climbers?
          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• MST3K: Zombie Nightmare (1986/1994)

"Fight choreography by Dom Deluise."

[Rifftrax:] Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare (1987/2015)

"Yeah, Jim Henson's Genital Pals was a real misstep for him."

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
            Vault of Horror sounds familiar. Is that the one where: a man murders a woman and is killed in a vampire restaurant; an artist uses voodoo to murder via cursed drawings; a husband-wife murder Indian rope-climbers?
            Yep, yep, and yep. Pretty good memory. They're all pretty good. The vamp one is probably the most fun and the artist (Tom Baker one year before Doctor Who fame) the most clever.
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 10-27-2019, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• Shit, I only saw that once as a kid on TV. Didn't know what it was but enjoyed it (even though some of it was hilariously dumb, such as the artist's failure to think ahead when doing a self-portrait). I should watch it again since I can't remember all of it and I have long wanted to see the rope-climbing story again since that one was pretty creepy for me.

Comment

• The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015)

"The Angels they forgot her."

The Tommyknockers (1993)

"God hates a coward."

Shit, I only saw that once as a kid on TV. Didn't know what it was but enjoyed it (even though some of it was hilariously dumb, such as the artist's failure to think ahead when doing a self-portrait). I should watch it again since I can't remember all of it and I have long wanted to see the rope-climbing story again since that one was pretty creepy for me.
                It's worth a re-watch. The self-portrait is actually explainable because he was working on that when he got the powers.
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 10-28-2019, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• Captain Marvel (2019)

Comment

• The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964)

"You ever learn to do that to ragtime, give me a call."

Watched it DVRed from Svengoolie with the fam. Slow Hammer sequel.

Amittyville: The Awakening (2017)

"That's what horror movies are all about--escaping reality with your friends."

Okay for a watch, but nothing great.
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 10-28-2019, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

"He will never know your name."

Jesus, I can hardly believe it's taken me 13 fucking years to see this even once.

Film was phenomenal. Had great cinematography, solid acting, the fantasy elements were utterly fascinating. I liked the doctor a lot, and the captain was a massive asshole (dude who played him nailed the ruthlessness). For a while I was concerned the faun was manipulating Ofelia, because that one woman said that fauns were not to be trusted or some such, but I'm relieved that wasn't the case. I did want to slap the girl when she ate the food though, such a fuck-up on her part.

Wish that I had seen this sooner (especially after The Simpsons parody), such a brilliant vision from del Toro.

Comment

• Frankenfish (2004)

"Some strange fella stick his hand in your hole, wouldn't you bite him?"

Not an Asylum flick, but pretty much on that level.

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966)

"She came home last night and vibrated for an hour!"

American Psycho (2000)

"They don't have a good bathroom to do coke in."

Pan's Labyrinth (2006) . . . Film was phenomenal. Had great cinematography, solid acting, the fantasy elements were utterly fascinating . . .
                        Yep. Not sure if that or Devil's Backbone is my favorite from him, but I love them both (and own 'em). The Alice/Dorothy-like questionable reality is well done here.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 11-01-2019, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                          The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015)

"The Angels they forgot her."
                          That was surprisingly good. And eerie.

Comment

• Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer (2007)

"So, he ate your hand? How did you dig the hole?"

Good effects and the acting is fine, but it's a horror comedy and it's just not very funny (or at least is pretty slow-paced on the humor).

Casper (1995)

"I'd kill for a pinky."

Creepshow (1982)

"Come on Harry, the maiden fair waits for her knight in shining corduroy."

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                            That was surprisingly good. And eerie.
                            I really didn't like it, though I might not have watched it in the best way (streaming and broken up through the day). I didn't even understand that the girl was supposed to be the same one---I figured she was just possessed by the same demonic presence---until I read it online. It would've helped if they used the same actress aged or something.

There are movies where I don't mind bleak endings or enigma, but this wasn't one of them for me. I'm very divided about some of what these critics are calling post-horror or humanist horror. I loved It Follows and A Quiet Place. I like Don't Breathe and Killing of a Sacred Deer. I found It Comes at Night, Hereditary, and The Witch very good, but probably not something I'll re-watch (they're not 'fun'). But I hated Babadook and didn't dig this one either despite both being favorites of current horror fans.

I think, in this case, it was the lack of identifying. I don't feel sorry for the girl from Sabrina because she's distant and unhuman from the first. The older girl wasn't much better; so I didn't care what happened to her either. The only characters I felt any kind of connection to were the poor parents. All the characters in these movies feel weird and unreal, which makes it harder for me to be invested in them.
                            Space Cop
                            The Dandy
                            Last edited by Space Cop; 11-01-2019, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• God, I remember seeing Creepshow as a kid. The crate story freaked me out, but the rest of it was pretty good (though the part with King as a plant hillbilly was also unsettling and makes you feel sorry for the poor bastard).

Comment

• Wasp Woman (1959)

"You're as bad as she is! Oh, women!
                                -Men! Every time you search for an answer, you always come up with women."

The Corman classic turned 60 yesterday.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)

"Is that just revolting? All greasy and gritty; it looks like it's molting and tastes like, ... well, pity a woman alone with limited wind and the worst pies in London!"

Creepshow 2 (1987)

"I feel the need, the need for weed!"

God, I remember seeing Creepshow as a kid. The crate story freaked me out, but the rest of it was pretty good (though the part with King as a plant hillbilly was also unsettling and makes you feel sorry for the poor bastard).
                                Yep. I showed it to my folks for the first time. I told my mother as a King fan she pretty much had to see it since it was his only full collaboration with his friend George Romero and his longest acting part. But yeah, even though his bit is played for laughs it's actually pretty disturbing as are all whole stories to me about losing your humanity.

I'm going to try to fit in part 2 tomorrow. It's not as strong a movie and only one story is by King, but I still like it a lot (all three stories).

Comment

Working...
                                X