This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Time (1990)

Captain: "And any short time goof-off that doesn't bust his ass to bring this guy in, is going to be as popular around this precinct as a reggae band at a Ku Klux Klan rally."

With less than two weeks until he's retired after 30 years on the force, Burt Simpson (Dabney Coleman) is determined to make it. But after he is misdiagnosed with a terminal illness and told he has only a short while left, he fears his son and ex-wife will lose every penny he's saved because his insurance only covers line-of-duty deaths.

Determined to set his family for life, Burt engages in suicide-by-criminal actions, daring criminals to kill him more than any sane man would.

I gotta say, this film is hysterical to the bone. Coleman is so play-it-safe at first before he's given the wrong lab results that it's hard not to find his chemistry with partner Ernie (Matt Frewer) amusing. And yes, they are named Burt and Ernie, for all you Sesame Street buffs (my dad busted a gut when he realized this himself).

I hunted down a good DVD of this film (hard to find beyond old VHS tapes) over the past few years ever since James Rolfe's video about some of the best car chases in films (I've seen some of his other picks, such as Bullitt or The Seven-Ups). The car chase Coleman gets into here is really something, almost like a Blues Brothers smash-up. His car is busted to shit and he keeps driving after these two guys trying to get himself killed for his family's sake.

And then department keeps giving him new awards and shit, and you laugh yourself silly.

This film isn't anything phenomenal, true, but it does a damn good job anyway.

Highly recommend.
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• MST3K: Mutiny in Space (1988/1997)

"Fetch me my warrior muumuu."

Comment

• Jurassic World

Very entertaining movie, even though it follows the same beats as the original film.

Chris Pratt is definitely leading man material.

4/5
        You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Charlie's Angels (2000)

"They don't call me balls out Natalie for nothing."

I've been in a Charlie's Angels mood since I've been watching the original show just before bed the last couple weeks.

Comment

• Saw this last Friday with the family:

Good movie.

I think, however, that it may have my new "saddest Pixar moment" when Bing Bong sacrifices himself. Made me tear up, anyway, and I found myself REALLY hoping, as I waited through the credits, that there would be some kind of little scene at the end mitigating that sadness...but no.

Comment

• My Name Is Modesty (2004)

"We always have choices about what we make of ourselves, but we don't always know where those choices will lead."

Comment

• Peter Benchley's Creature (made for TV movie) (1998)

"You gotta shark problem?"

Comment

• Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003)

"I heard the sequel is insane.
                  -The original was a classic."

I wish McG would make more CA films, even though I know he'd have to pick younger actresses now, but these were fun.

Originally posted by Foom View Post
                  Peter Benchley's Creature (made for TV movie) (1998)
                  I remember watching that when it came out (which was the year I graduated high school).
                  Space Cop
                  The Dandy
                  Last edited by Space Cop; 06-23-2015, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

I remember watching that when it came out (which was the year I graduated high school).
                    Yeah, me too. It was quite an adventure back in the day to get so psyched about a made for TV movie, although (this is one of the few times in my life you will actually hear me say this) I enjoyed the novel White Shark more.

I might start the Beast today, seeing as how I'm just going to be laying around for a few days.

Comment

• Rescue Dawn (2006)

"Empty what is full. Fill what is empty. Scratch what itches."

This was a really cool movie. Loved the ending.

Comment

• saw InsideOut over the weekend, and while i loved it and LMAO during the funny parts i won't be getting this on DvD

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                          Yeah, me too. It was quite an adventure back in the day to get so psyched about a made for TV movie, although (this is one of the few times in my life you will actually hear me say this) I enjoyed the novel White Shark more.

I might start the Beast today, seeing as how I'm just going to be laying around for a few days.
                          Opposite for me: Creature/White Shark (novel) was boring, whereas the film was very good (wouldn't mind owning it if I find it for very cheap).

As for Beast, I found both the novel and the TV adaptation to be highly enjoyable.
                          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• MST3K: The Prince of Space (1959/1997)

"I will never forgive Japan for this."

MST3K: The Crawling Hand (1963/1989)

"You will believe a hand can crawl."

Comment

• My theater was holding a special 40th anniversary screening today, as more than a few theaters are. I'd never seen the movie all the way through before, and never on the big screen. A great film, and it still holds up for having been made in the early 70's.

Comment

• t3 rise of the machines. its been years since i saw it last and it was good but t2 is still my favorite
                                .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Working...
                                X