Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know I have been wanting a Sinestro book pretty much since I read Emerald Dawn 2. But now I am uneasy about it. They can't even find someone to right the Flagship title right,How can we possibly trust DC to pick anyone compatent to write this book?

I get the feeling it is going to die a quick death.
    Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
      I get the feeling it is going to die a quick death.
      Probably. DC can put B and C list talent on the GL books and enjoy the sales of the Geoff Johns' era for only so long. Eventually there won't be enough interest by the fans to maintain 4 to 6 ongoing titles a month. At least that accomplishment nobody can take away from Johns.

I'm more and more of the mind as time goes by that a consolidation of the GL books would be for the best. Bring it down to GL and GLC for a few years. All the successful franchises go through that cycle of expanding and contracting. Superman, Batman, X Men, Spiderman, Avengers...I've seen all of them do it numerous times over the last three decades and it worked out just fine.

Plus, DC should really concentrate on making the GL books they do put out the best they can be. Quality over quantity and all that.

Comment

• Here is the problem for Spin Off and Flaggships alike. Non Bat/Super are not treated with the same respect. To a point where it almost seems DC is resentful of them. The other books are just tests for talent. "Prove you can write or draw these lesser books and we will move you up to one of the big titles when they open". Well what is needed is someone who thinks Aquaman is the "Big title". Some one who wants to point out whythis character is so great and why we should share thier love.

DC has so many characters that are at the verry least intresting,that get pushed into the back ground that it is obscenly wasteful. Find some one who loves Guy Gardner,who read all his stuff Warrior and all. Let them write a mini,and if the mini dose well. Then we plan a next step. No more stepping stone writters,I want someone who would be completley happy with writting that character for the rest of thier comic carear.

But what we will get is more reboots of the same crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
          Here is the problem for Spin Off and Flaggships alike. Non Bat/Super are not treated with the same respect. To a point where it almost seems DC is resentful of them. . .
          Well Azarello has been on WW since #1 and he's a famous and respected writer. DC's top Bat writer was also on Swampy for quite a while. I don't think it's so much that they won't put them on other books as they just don't have that many star creative teams any more.

And, btw, they are killing Batman: DK. So, they're not completely committed to every bat title no matter what.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            Well Azarello has been on WW since #1 and he's a famous and respected writer.
            Have you also noticed that the Azzarello WW book is not the same Wonder Woman portrayed in Justice League? They feel like different characters.

Comment

• Yes. And I'm glad that DC editorial hasn't (yet, *fingers crossed*) forced Justice-League continuity on Azz's book. The new Harley book also seems to be separated from the Suicide Squad story.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                I'm more and more of the mind as time goes by that a consolidation of the GL books would be for the best. Bring it down to GL and GLC for a few years. All the successful franchises go through that cycle of expanding and contracting. Superman, Batman, X Men, Spiderman, Avengers...I've seen all of them do it numerous times over the last three decades and it worked out just fine.

Plus, DC should really concentrate on making the GL books they do put out the best they can be. Quality over quantity and all that.
                This! Better this then having a lot of B- or C-written books. And no matter what most of the fans say: the storytelling (and the art) was - for me - way better in the Johns-era.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitey View Post
                  I hope they'll do this! RL and LF OUT and Sinestro IN! 8)

I kind of like Red Lanterns. It is my favorite of all the books right now and I'm not a huge Guy fan by any means. IMO I just think the writing is far superior to the other books writers.

Hal is my primary favorite GL but I'm not really liking the main GL title. The whole policing the use of ring powers because the universe's emotional spectrum will run out is ridiculous to me. I'm mean it took billions of billions of years to drain it, I think they have some time.

But I'll keep reading all the books because I love GL and I want to see where it goes!

Comment

• Yeah it just seems like a way to make Hal look like more of an Ass. And yet another reason to power down Green Lantern. Shouldn't all the emotion in the universe be fueling the main source. I thought that I read tha about Parallax,that he was to powerfull for the Guardians to kill because Fear is always rampet through out the Galaxy? I thought I remember the Guardians being the main source of the power, I remember Hal Not needing to charge his ring as long as he was in thier presance?

Comment

• How did our lantern books fair at the end of the year? Find out below.

December Comic Sales
                      [Note: no direct GL titles in the top 20, but there are lantern-related ones.]

1 Origin II 1 $4.99 Marvel 131,724
                      2 Avengers 24 $4.99 Marvel 127,466
                      3 Batman 26 $3.99 DC 119,443
                      4 Forever Evil 4 $3.99 DC 99,351
                      5 Superman Unchained 5 $3.99 DC 96,322
                      6 Justice League 25 $3.99 DC 94,004
                      7 Harley Quinn 1 $2.99 DC 92,153
                      8 Justice League 26 $3.99 DC 90,592
                      9 Inhumanity 1 $3.99 Marvel 77,519
                      10 Superior Spider-Man 23 $3.99 Marvel 77,105
                      11 Superior Spider-Man 24 $3.99 Marvel 76,131
                      12 Batman Superman 6 $3.99 DC 68,857
                      13 All New X-Men 20 $3.99 Marvel 68,189
                      14 Walking Dead 118 $2.99 Image 68,020
                      15 Amazing Spider-Man 700.1 $3.99 Marvel 65,775
                      16 Justice League of America 10 $3.99 DC 65,678
                      17 Uncanny X-Men 15.INH $3.99 Marvel 62,692
                      18 Amazing Spider-Man 700.2 $3.99 Marvel 61,233
                      19 Amazing X-Men 2 $3.99 Marvel 60,870
                      20 Amazing Spider-Man 700.3 $3.99 Marvel 60,513
                      23 Justice League 3000 1 $2.99 DC 57,726
                      31 Green Lantern 26 $2.99 DC 51,420
                      47 Earth 2 18 $2.99 DC 37,130
                      57 Green Lantern Corps 26 $2.99 DC 32,797
                      65 Green Lantern New Guardians 26 $2.99 DC 30,489
                      76 Red Lanterns 26 $2.99 DC 26,242
                      103 Injustice Gods Among Us 12 $3.99 DC 21,871
                      107 DC Vs Masters of The Universe 3 $2.99 DC 21,325
                      140 Larfleeze 6 $2.99 DC 15,081

December Trade Sales
                      [Note: no direct GL titles in the top 20.]

1 Fables Vol. 19 Snow White $16.99 DC 8,624
                      2 Adventure Time Original Vol. 2 $11.99 Boom 5,455
                      3 Richard Starks Parker Slayground HC $17.99 IDW 5,364
                      4 Deadpool Kills Deadpool $14.99 Marvel 5,265
                      5 Star Lord Worlds On Brink $7.99 Marvel 4,242
                      6 Nightwing Vol. 3 Death of The Family $16.99 DC 4,207
                      7 Saga Vol. 1 $9.99 Image 4,165
                      8 Deadpool Vol. 3 Good Bad And Ugly $15.99 Marvel 3,988
                      9 Saga Vol. 2 $14.99 Image 3,570
                      10 Walking Dead Vol. 1 Days Gone Bye $14.99 Image 3,448
                      11 New X-Men By Grant Morrison Book 1 $14.99 Marvel 3,283
                      12 My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Vol. 3 $17.99 IDW 3,268
                      13 Empowered Vol. 8 $16.99 Dark Horse 3,208
                      14 Avengers Omnibus HC Vol. 1 JR Jr Cvr $99.99 Marvel 3,205
                      15 Marvel Zomnibus HC $125.00 Marvel 2,968
                      16 Teen Titans Vol. 3 Death of The Family To $14.99 DC 2,914
                      17 Superman Action Comics Vol. 2 Bulletproof $16.99 DC 2,854
                      18 Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus HC Vol. 1 $99.99 Marvel 2,780
                      19 Massive Vol. 2 Subcontinental $19.99 Dark Horse 2,768
                      20 Morning Glories Vol. 6 $14.99 Image 2,695
                      38 Green Lantern Corps Vol. 2 Alpha War $16.99 DC 2,150
                      55 Green Lantern Corps HC Vol. 3 Willpower $24.99 DC 1,860
                      132 Justice League Vol. 1 Origin $16.99 DC 970
                      237 Injustice Gods Among Us HC Vol. 1 $19.99 DC 521
                      276 Justice League Vol. 2 The Villains Journey $16.99 DC 458

Comment

• 31 isn't it usually in the good end of the 20?

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop
                          Yep. It's been hovering between 22-26 the last half year.

But, if you take a look at the number of actual books sold (57,000+) you'll see more sold than in November (54,000+). So, it has more to do with having more high-selling books in December, I guess. In other words, it gained readers, not lost them, but there were a lot of other books out there.
                          Are you sure you're looking at that right? Green Lantern sold 51,420, which is less than 54,322 - the November number.

This December was all around a bit of a slow month for the industry.
                          ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

• Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                            Are you sure you're looking at that right? Green Lantern sold 51,420, which is less than 54,322 - the November number.

This December was all around a bit of a slow month for the industry.
                            Now I'm sure I was not looking at that correctly. I read the JL 3000 numbers for GL. Sorry.
                            [Edit: post deleted.]

Comment

• As the quality in the main title continues to fall, it's really starting to affect the spin off titles. It might be just a local thing, I live in Lincoln Ne, but my LCS is really struggling to sell those other GL titles.

Most people in the store according to the owners are becoming indifferent to the Main GL title, thus they just won't look at the other titles as much.

Comment

• Originally posted by weareborg View Post
                                As the quality in the main title continues to fall, it's really starting to affect the spin off titles. It might be just a local thing, I live in Lincoln Ne, but my LCS is really struggling to sell those other GL titles.

Most people in the store according to the owners are becoming indifferent to the Main GL title, thus they just won't look at the other titles as much.
                                They really aren't missing a whole lot with the spin off books. GLC is decent, maybe even better than the actual GL book. That one is the only shame in if it suffers because of GL's dipping quality. It's one thing to deal with a Larfleeze or Red Lanterns is sitting in your pull file if you're really enjoying GL. But lately I'm feeling fatigue with the franchise; nothing in the line is very good. GLC is decent but in all honesty it's not really a great book or anything, nothing that I'd brag to my friends that they simply HAVE to try. GL is mediocre at best. The other books should all just be cancelled and put out of their misery.

My local shop doesn't sell a lot of GL titles anyway. They sold more during the height of the Geoff Johns hype days, but even then it wasn't in everybody's file. So I guess it's hard for me to judge that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X