Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power rangers once and always. As campy as it is it was fun. Also mature in story. Love the daughter of trini
    .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

• Lego: DC Comics Superheroes: Aquaman: Rage of Atlantis (2018)
      tileburnedin?size=1280x720&partner=hbomaxcom&v=cae3fc854b851897cf155db14348ea2d&host=art-gallery.api.hbo.com&language=en-us&w=1280.jpg

“Pulitzers were never won with good ideas, Jimmy. Now, come on.
      -Uh, isn’t that the only reason they’re awarded?”
      —Picked up on DVD at Big Lots because it was $3 and I could see it had a Lego GL (Jessica) in it. Okay.
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 04-23-2023, 03:57 AM.

Comment

• Far And Away (1992)

Comment

• Fighting with My Family (2019)
          a7904ca3b16069b653942102caea22e8ed3ec3a8274906cd38bf011c65c65ac0._UY500_UX667_RI_V_TTW_.jpg

“My name is Paige. And this is my house now!”

Bloody Muscle Body Builder in Hell (1995)
          [aka Japanese Evil Dead]
          mp_bloodymuscle.jpg
          “Sayonara, baby.”
          —Not as fun or well done as Evil Dead, but I see the influence. The spfx vary. It’s also short (63 minutes).

X2: X-Men United (2003)
          4808801_so.jpg

“Someone so beautiful should not be so angry.
          -Sometimes anger can help you survive.
          So can faith.”
          —20th anniversary.

Stray Dog (1949)
          Nora_inu_poster.jpg

“He’ll rob again. Once does not a habit make, but the second time, a stray becomes a rabid dog. Am I wrong?”
          —Another early-but-good Kurosawa flick (again with Mifune and Shimura). Follows a young homicide detective who is distraught when a pickpocket gets his Colt on a crowded bus and even more so when it’s used in a shooting.

[Rifftrax:] X2: X-Men United (2003/8)
          X2Web.jpg

“Aren’t all prep schools mutant training facilities, really?”

Comment

• The Pope's Exorcist (2023)

How many clichés can you use from 1973? Pretty much all of them, according to this movie. The only saving grace is the name of the demon and what is found under the church. Otherwise, a fanciful, remake of all that has come before. I approach exorcism movies with caution, given my childhood, but damn....I was ready to fall asleep half way through. The whole genre needs to be shaken up, stirred, and come up with a new formula.

Comment

• The Limey (1999)
              il_794xN.4384384309_px16.jpg
              “Bide your time. That’s what prison teaches you, if nothing else. Bide your time, and everything becomes clear, and you can act accordingly.”
              —Unusual revenge flick that draws you in.

Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2018)
              w6YaPb?w=408&h=583.jpg
              “Humans have a hunger for heroes.”
              —Finally Tubied this documentary for Masters of the Universe Day.

The Hunger (1983)
              the-hunger-md-web.jpg

“Humankind dies one way, we another. Their end is final. Ours is not.”
              —40th anniversary.

Valley Girl (1983)
              Valley-Girl-2020.jpg?fit=800%2C800&ssl=1.jpg

“No one is gonna tell me who I can score with!”
              —40th anniversary.

Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (1988)
              o-naked-gun-reboot-facebook.jpg

“Cuban?
              -No, Dutch-Irish. My father was from Wales.”
              —My first viewing (re-watch) on my free month of Paramount+.

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
              The Pope's Exorcist (2023)

How many clichés can you use from 1973? Pretty much all of them, according to this movie. The only saving grace is the name of the demon and what is found under the church. Otherwise, a fanciful, remake of all that has come before. I approach exorcism movies with caution, given my childhood, but damn....I was ready to fall asleep half way through. The whole genre needs to be shaken up, stirred, and come up with a new formula.
              I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. It's funny because when he arrived I thought "at least they didn't do the under-the-street-light cliche," but I spoke too soon.
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 05-11-2023, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• Chaplin (1992)

Comment

• Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013)
                  u8lltvt9if94p96g9ut1.jpg

“If you test me, you will fail.”
                  —10th anniversary.

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
                  x-men-the-last-stand-2006-poster-1024x768.jpg

“Nobody's is talking about extermination.
                  -No one ever talks about it. They just do it.”
                  —Watched the first as a refresher to a Hack the Movies video and the 2nd for the anniversary, so, I had to finish the trilogy. At the moment, I don’t feel compelled to watch the retcons.

[Rifftrax:] The Bad Pack (1997/2023)
                  BadPack_Poster.jpg

“Is racism evil or a cheap laugh? Make up your mind!”

The Lower Depths (1957)
                  lf?set=path%5B8%2F6%2F8%2F7%2F8687680%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D.jpg

“You're a nice old man, very nice.
                  -Oh, I'm like a pebble in the river... washed down from the mountains, polished and smooth all over.”
                  —Another good, but depressing flick from Kurosawa (based on the Russian play) looking at the lower rungs of Japanese society.

Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear (1991)
                  p13309_p_v8_ai.jpg

“I love being single! I haven’t had this much sex since I was a Boy Scout leader!”

Comment

• House on Willow Street. (2016)

Remember how I said in my last review that the exorcism genre needed to be remixed a little to make it interesting again? Ask and you shall receive.

I literally can't give you any details about this movie because even the slightest slip will spoil it. What I can tell you is that this film does NOT follow the typical "person gets possessed/conflicted priest comes in/exorcism attempted/mixed results in the end" formula. I can also say I enjoyed this immensely and strongly suggest it to horror fans, especially those of this genre.

If I still had my doombot ratings, this would get 4 ½ doombots out of 5.

Comment

• Alpha Wolf (2018)
                      d10cbbddb720fcd8fb03f1edc3a6159b19c766366b7d00ec4ce358242bc10429.jpg?quality=90&resize=556,313.jpg

“Crap, for crap’s sake!”
                      —Cheap werewolf flick on Paramount+ with decent production values and whose star power consists of Casper Van Dien. It has an original, clever angle on the mythos I’ve never seen before. Watched for the full moon.

Souls on the Road (1921)
                      MV5BNTViZDFiNjQtZmZlMC00NTFjLTk1MjQtNzdkY2UxZGMzYzAyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk0MDg4NDk@._V1_.jpg

“There is time to be merciful …”
                      —The channel I follow on Youtube (Dark Corners) is also covering this first Japanese adaptation of Lower Depths, though it’s honestly very similar.

Naked Gun 33⅓: The Final Insult (1994)
                      NG33.3_SAlone_THM_16.9_1920x1080_229016_1920x1080.jpg

“Uh Raquel, so many go to bed hungry in this nation, yet cat food is full of tuna! I can't help but think each time I go to the zoo and see those porpoises, crammed into those tiny tanks, what a waste that is. Butcher half of them now! That’s hundreds of pounds of dolphin meat that can be fed to our cats, freeing up that tuna for our nation's hungry.”

Deep Impact (1998)
                      DeepImpact_1998_advance_original_film_art_1200x.jpg?v=1608594904.jpg

“Well, look on the bright side. We’ll all have high schools named after us.”
                      —25th anniversary.

Martin Luther (1953)
                      v%20%20%20%2031599.jpg

“Here I stand. I can do no other.”
                      —70th anniversary.
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 05-11-2023, 01:43 AM.

Comment

• (Based upon SC's description)

Alpha Wolf. (2018)

Clever angles? That had more angles than a tri-hexagon! Lol

That was pretty damn good. Transformations were ok, and I would have loved to be Larry. Lmao

I also watched "The Power of Grayskull" Documentary. I didn't realize the show had so many restrictions on violence, considering what G.I. Joe and The Transformers were doing. I think their only rule was no one dies, which is why you always saw the Rattler pilots ejecting before the plane blew up. As for the Transformers, I cite the episode "Heavy Metal War" as one of their more destructive examples.

So I watched that on Tubi, and as Tubi does, they give you a couple recommendations when the credits start to roll for the film you just finished. To my pleasant surprise, there was a documentary on the never-released FF film made by Roger Corman titled "DOOMED!" I immediately started watching that, and there were so many odd things going on with that movie, schedules, release date, actors, etc that it seemed Avi Arad played everyone in the end much like Palpatine manipulated the Senate and other factions to bring the rise of the Sith to fruition.

Of course, now I had to watch the Corman film (which is not hard to find on the net at all), and it brought back some fine memories of when I first got into Doom. Say what you will about the low production values, at least it remained true to the comic origins, including Von Doom during his college years. That's more than one can say about the three Fox movies.

Comment

• The Lower Depths (1936)
                          [Les bas-fonds]
                          22632906829.jpg

“One day, everything will be ours. We'll go away together. To live the good life where no one knows us.”
                          —Third adaptation (this French, from Renoir) I’ve seen of this Russian play. Liked. More hopeful than Kurosawa’s.

[Rifftrax:] X-Men: The Last Stand (2006/2011)
                          x3web.jpg

“Thrill as mutants bicker.”

(Based upon SC's description)

Alpha Wolf. (2018)

Clever angles? That had more angles than a tri-hexagon! Lol
                          Right? I didn't want to spoil anything, but the Larry thing was something I've never seen in a werewolf movie and I've seen a lot.

I also watched "The Power of Grayskull" Documentary. I didn't realize the show had so many restrictions on violence, considering what G.I. Joe and The Transformers were doing. I think their only rule was no one dies, which is why you always saw the Rattler pilots ejecting before the plane blew up. As for the Transformers, I cite the episode "Heavy Metal War" as one of their more destructive examples.
                          Yeah, as a kid, it never struck me as odd that he always carries a sword and never stabs or slashes an enemy. It was a good documentary. Glad you looked it up.

So I watched that on Tubi, and as Tubi does, they give you a couple recommendations when the credits start to roll for the film you just finished. To my pleasant surprise, there was a documentary on the never-released FF film made by Roger Corman titled "DOOMED!" I immediately started watching that, and there were so many odd things going on with that movie, schedules, release date, actors, etc that it seemed Avi Arad played everyone in the end much like Palpatine manipulated the Senate and other factions to bring the rise of the Sith to fruition...
                          That documentary made me feel so sorry for the cast and crew. They were really trying and were given a raw deal. I think the movie's better than its rep.

Comment

• Hoffa (1992)

Comment

• Bride of the Monster (1955)
                              bela%2Blugosi.jpg

“You will be as big as a giant with the strength of 20 men! Or, like all the others, dead!”

Scream VI (2023)
                              scream6.jpg?width=968&auto=webp&quality=50&crop=968%3A645%2Csmart.png

“Who gives a f**k about movies?!”
                              —Watched on Paramount+ for movie night with my horror-fan friend. Not my favorite, but still good.

Originally posted by robojac View Post
                              Hoffa (1992)
                              I like that one. For some reason, the scene that stays in my head is when Hoffa bums a ride from Bobby and talks about the truckers leaving lit cigarettes so the burns would keep them awake. My family were all union folks (my mother even worked for the CWA for years), so these kind of stories intrigue me.

Comment

• Screenshot_20230514_211058_Tubi.jpg
                                This is an odd one. Kinda like the Evil Dead by way of Romero sailing through the Lovecraft sea. All subbed in English. Lots of weird things going on like transvestite brothel owners toting really big guns, Albino Brazilians, Dads eating their kids (is nothing sacred?), Book conjurings, strange robbers who just kill people and walk away, and of course the devil himself. It's a hit or miss. Interesting either way, though.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X