This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GLJIMT View Post
    Can you tell us what inspires you to create some of the GL stuff like we know you traced the Parallax desgin to come up with the Sinestro Corps Symbol any other tidbits like that you can share?
    Hmmm...no, not yet. Geoff doesn't seem to want me to talk about that. I did an interview with Newsarama where I went into great detail about how the new costumes and symbols were devised, but I told the interviewer to run it by Geoff in case there were any spoilers in there...

Well, the whole segment was excised, and they inserted a new line instead. Me saying "No comment. I cannot speak about that at this time." heh. It's better to talk about what's behind us instead of what's in front of us. That may be a bummer, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Zechs View Post
      Hey Ethan when it come's to designing characters for each of the seven corps. Is it all the artists behind creating and designing them, does Geoff or Pete give you something to work with then you go off on that idea, or a GL round table with everyone when creating them?

A second question to go with this.. any chance there can be a contest via DC where a fan can get their own personal created Corps Member to be shown in the Blackest Night (like one of your's, Ivan's, or whomever's else is on that project splash pages)?

That be so wickedly cool and no doubt popular as well.

I was going to ask you about the eyes again, but I get a feeling you only give us teases
      No, it's all me. Everyone is so consumed with their own job, I don't think anyone really wanted to get involved in the business of creating all of the stuff visually. And I wouldn't want them to, just let me do it myself. I know what it all means.

Good idea about the contest. But we'd get thousands of submissions, and then a committee would have to judge, and there there's legal issues, etc. I used to do contests like that for my first comic series, CYBERFROG, and that was hard enough!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
        I think what's confusing some folks is that it appears -- or maybe this is a misconception -- that the green areas are now sizzlin' hot... which, going back, makes scenes where, like, Hal or Kyle or John or whatever rescuing somebody by carrying them out seem odd... when they'd be writhing in pain from touching the hot green parts.
        No, it wouldn't hurt to touch it. It's just warm. 110 degrees fahrenheit, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Chamalkan View Post
          A question about the GL uniform: does it disapear when the ring charge is depleted? It's been shown to do (I believe issue three or four) and to do not (GL25)

Also, if you know: what is keeping Jim Lee so busy Besides AB&R?
          Is a lot of his time going into the DCU MMO game? is he doing lots of bussiness stuff for Wildstorm?
          The costume would vanish when the ring depletes. That was, in my opinion, a mistake in #25.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
            Okay I have a question. I know you can't give anything away but I figure if I ask the question subtle enough you may be able to point us in the right direction. If not that is cool too.

Sinestro's personality has changed alot over the years. Is there a any past Green Lantern issues that you and Geoff are taking your ques from on Sinestro's personality.

The other Question is more of Just a silly prefrence thing. When Looking at Green Lantern comics is there any artistic choices that just get on your nerves. For Example I hate it when People make Sinestro left handed.I know That it is silly. I am sure the Great Sinestro could Ring sling with bouth hands or even a Yellow nose ring,but it stands out to me the Sinestro nerd. Do you have one of these Nerve grinders and how silly is it?
            I think I put the yellow ring on everyone's left hand...I can't be sure of that, but it seemed more "evil". Heh. Sinestro isn't left handed, per se, but he does seem to wear his ring there...he just likes it better.

I can't think of a Sinestro appearance that inspired our Sinestro. If there is one, I didn't read it. It just came of conversations between Geoff, myself and Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by 5-ball View Post
              EVS - In an interview a long time ago you stated that you hid in your artwork some things that would get you in trouble if anyone ever found them. Any hints as to where to look? I believe it was somewhere around the Shark issue.

Welcome BTW.
              That's been built up so much that if I told you now, you'd be disappointed about how "not a big deal" it is. But yeah, it's in GL #4.

Comment

what previous work of yours helped you ge the job on rebirth?

Comment

Can you comment yet about the fuzzy/blurry orange "shield" around the Orange Lanterns in the double-splash in GL #25? Was it just to prevent us from seeing the ring collection the Manta Ray Orange Lantern was carrying under its wings?

It's odd, because the same double-splash page appeared -- I think -- on Newsarama without the fuzzy/blurry shield over the Orange Lanterns.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethan Van Sciver View Post
                    I think I put the yellow ring on everyone's left hand...I can't be sure of that, but it seemed more "evil". Heh. Sinestro isn't left handed, per se, but he does seem to wear his ring there...he just likes it better.

I can't think of a Sinestro appearance that inspired our Sinestro. If there is one, I didn't read it. It just came of conversations between Geoff, myself and Pete.
                    Oh I don't hold the Big-E and Geoff to the same standards as everybody else. You guys get a pass on everything because Sinestro would still be dead if not for you guys. So you have my permission to put the ring wherever the heck you want.

I was just using that as my example. What I am realy trying to do is get you to bad mouth someone elses work. that will start a artist war that will only end in tears and bloodshed. (I can't help it. I am messed up.) Like I hear you are not a fan of pointed alien ears.
                    Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

• Hey Ethan, I was wondering if you know how their getting around the copyrights and useing a Vulcan Green Lantern. You would think Paramount would have issues.

From Vol. 2

Current Series

Darth_Andrea

Comment

• Originally posted by Ethan Van Sciver View Post
                        No, it's all me. Everyone is so consumed with their own job, I don't think anyone really wanted to get involved in the business of creating all of the stuff visually. And I wouldn't want them to, just let me do it myself. I know what it all means.

Good idea about the contest. But we'd get thousands of submissions, and then a committee would have to judge, and there there's legal issues, etc. I used to do contests like that for my first comic series, CYBERFROG, and that was hard enough!
                        I know that be the only prob given how much a hit the Corps War has been. There be no telling how many submissions you guys would get. But then again just goes to show you how much a hit this has been.

Comment

• Hey EVs thanks for being so open to us here... i don't have comic related question, but .. do you plan to visit Acme superstore in longwood anytime soon? I've seen stuff you have signed there all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ethan Van Sciver View Post
                            Hmmm...no, not yet. Geoff doesn't seem to want me to talk about that. I did an interview with Newsarama where I went into great detail about how the new costumes and symbols were devised, but I told the interviewer to run it by Geoff in case there were any spoilers in there...

Well, the whole segment was excised, and they inserted a new line instead. Me saying "No comment. I cannot speak about that at this time." heh. It's better to talk about what's behind us instead of what's in front of us. That may be a bummer, sorry.
                            I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I didn't mean the other symbols, I just meant anything in general that us GL Fanterns would find amusing on how you created something from the past is fine.
                            My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

• Hey Ethen, do you have any "Plastic Man" artwork published in any of the past DC books you worked on? Or any viewable pin-ups of "Plas" you might have drawn anywhere?

Comment

• There's alot of love for Plastic Man in this thread. Am I missing something?

Comment

Working...
                                X