"That Godzilla guy is one tough dude."

Violent Cop (1989)

"So what's your line of work?
    -We sell guns by mail-order."

Born in China (2016)

"Each life lived is just one beat in the larger, beautiful rhythm."
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 06-02-2019, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2019)

Comment

• [Rifftrax:] Krull (1983 [2018])

"Join me in my cowardice!"

The Wrong Trousers (1993)

"It's no use prevaricating about the bush."

Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown (2008)

"He defined the themes and obsessions of 20th century horror and as we chug on into the 21st century, it doesn't seem to be going away."

Saw this pop up on Youtube and thought it was something I saw before (probably when it was new), but took the chance. It was, but it was cool to re-watch because I've read a lot more HPL (most of him, really) since I first saw this.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 06-02-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Road to Perdition (2002)

"I'm glad it's you."

Jesus, this came out when I was a sophomore in high school. Always wanted to see it but never did, until SEVENTEEN YEARS LATER.

Whatever. I get '30s-era gangsters starring Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, and Daniel Craig, which is a huge deal.

I love seeing these period films, everybody wearing suits and the Tommy guns everywhere. Seeing Hanks with a mustache was strange, he doesn't look right with it, and Newman being old as hell (and with an Irish accent) was jarring. But goddamn it was great to see a vengeance-driven Hanks tear half the world apart demanding an answering for what Craig and Newman did to his family.

I liked the family touches, his one son wondering what he did for a living and the other just wanting to read Lone Ranger stories (those take me back to my own childhood, my paternal grandfather watching the pilot on VHS because that was the only Western I knew we had). My dad and I had a chuckle at the way Michael Jr had to practice getaway driving, especially when he drove slowly in the one scene (I especially liked how Hanks told the manager to keep some cash and he initially refused but then did anyway; my dad also like Nitty's inclusion into the story). I also smiled when Jr asked for $200 and then asked if he could have had more, such a humorous and intimate moment.

That scene in the rain was intense, I really can't say enough about it to properly do it justice. Jude Law's character was a total dickhead, almost as much of a bastard as Craig's.

Overall a very satisfying film.
          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Godzilla (2014)

"Mommy, look. Dinosaurs."

Savage Weekend (1979)

"When you came to me in the woods I thought 'Wow, here's a man with some imagination'. Later I realized you were just a silly jerk who gets all his ideas from girlie magazines."

Disappointing for a movie right at the infancy of the slasher boom.

[Rifftrax:] The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part II (2012/2013)

"More soft piano music and reading; I love horror movies."

My full-moon werewolfd pick this month. I'm a little sad to be done with this riff series. It was a good way to re-watch them.
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 06-02-2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Hardcore Henry (2016)

Comment

• Message from the King (2016)

"Let me tell you something. Dentists are for men what gynecologists are for women."

Cyborg Cop (1993)

"Science!"

Sicario (2015)

"What you're doing here is you're giving us the opportunity to shake the tree and create chaos."
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 06-02-2019, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Munich (2005)

Comment

• [Rifftrax:] Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2009)

"It's the law of selective magnetism."

Apocalypse Now (1979)

"Charlie don't surf!"

Happy 40th (5/19), Col. Kurtz.

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

"Through our cruelty they will know who we are."

And happy 10th (5/20) to Col. Landa.
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 06-02-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Green Room (2015)

robojac
                      Corps Honor Guard
                      Last edited by robojac; 05-22-2019, 04:22 AM.

Comment

• Cyborg Cop II (1994)

"Some guns, lady."

And more, bigger, anniversaries; half and quarter century respectively:

Gamera vs. Guiron (1969)

"Your mother's donuts are really good."

Pulp Fiction (1994)

"What ain't no country I've ever heard of. They speak English in What?"
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 05-28-2019, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Vice (2018)

Comment

• And a few more anniversaries; 25th, 30th (5/24) and 40th (5/25) respectively:

Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla (1994)

"Let me see it now--that lovely armpit of yours."

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

"I've got a lot of fond memories of that dog."

Alien (1979)

"It's got a wonderful defense mechanism. You don't dare kill it."
                            Space Cop
                            The Dandy
                            Last edited by Space Cop; 06-02-2019, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Aquaman (2018)

"Down here, we have a legend about the Karathen, an ancient sea monster so powerful that even King Atlan himself couldn't contain it. So he imprisoned it in the depths of the ocean. In that abyss, the creature bides its time, waiting to rise again. Atlantis has been lying in wait, and now the beast has awakened."

I'm gonna be honest, this makes Aquaman from an oft-mocked meme into something genuinely great. It's well-paced, has great characterization (played by excellent actors, and damn was it awesome seeing Morrison and Lundgren again), impressive fight scenes, some gorgeous locations and designs, this film really does deserve and earn a lot of its praise.

I love that Michael Beach, the voice of Devil Ray from Justice League, is double-dipping here and playing the father of Black Manta. It was also a wonderful surprise seeing Willem Dafoe in a non-villainous role here (he does a wonderful job).

One thing that did displease me a lot was when my dad's PS4 began skipping large parts of the film (I'm talking at least five minutes of footage jumped over). I think it's his disc drive, but hell if I can do much about it.

Overall I was very happy with what they've done in portraying Aquaman and really improving his image (this film outperformed every solo Marvel flick in China in just a week). Gonna have to get this on DVD now.
                              Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Monster Hunt (2015)

"You don't believe cows have emotions?!"

Venom (2018)

"Now, let's bite all their heads off, and pile them up in the corner.
                                -Why would we do that?
                                Pile of bodies, pile of heads."

Disappointing.

Southpaw (2015)

"Stopping punches with your face is not defense."
                                Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 06-02-2019, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X