This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
    The sequel turns 40. I love this one, but I also love the series. No, it's not as strong as the first and yes, the original would have stood alone fine, but I still like knowing the rest of the story.
    Still... I don't know if there's a more powerful moment in the whole series as when Adrian comes out of her coma and tells Rocky, "I want you to win!" and the training montage/music begins.

It still gives me chills.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
      The Wild Bunch (1969)
      Another 50th anniversary and a pivotal Western in the switch to the more hard-edged ones.
      Shit, now I want to watch that again. The climax is a work of art.
      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995)

"I'd like to take you out in a monster-free city."

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
        Indeed. Not sure that it's even my favorite Peckinpah, but it's very good and very stylistic.

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
        Still... I don't know if there's a more powerful moment in the whole series as when Adrian comes out of her coma and tells Rocky, "I want you to win!" and the training montage/music begins.

It still gives me chills.
        LOL. I stood up and fist pumped at that moment, which was kind of pathetic since (1) I knew it was coming and (2) I was alone at the time.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 06-25-2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
          Sam Peckinpah made another movie that's just as good as The Wild Bunch but isn't as well known. It's Ride The High Country.

Comment

• Batman (1989)

"I make art until someone dies."

This movie turned 30 today and I remember well seeing it in theater and becoming obsessed. Now, I have nitpicks with it (like Joker being named and the Wayne killer), but I'd still say it's my second favorite Batman movie and easily one of my top ten favorite comic book adaptations.

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
            Sam Peckinpah made another movie that's just as good as The Wild Bunch but isn't as well known. It's Ride The High Country.
            Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of when I said WB may not be my favorite. RtHC does seem to be known and highly respected among real cinefiles and hardcore Western fans, but it definitely doesn't have the popular name appeal of WB or Straw Dogs.
            SD is up there, but I'd need to see it again to decide and it's not as "fun" a watch as the others.
            Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is probably underrated, though admittedly not in the same league as the above.
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 06-20-2019, 01:15 AM.

Comment

• I'm posting a link to Ride The High Country in the Videos forum. Leonard Maltin talks about it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD3ZicUWObI
              Trey Strain
              Guardian of the Universe
              Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-20-2019, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• Chappaquiddick (2017)

"I'm not going to be president."

Comment

• I don't know whether this is addressed in Chappaquiddick, but Joseph P. Kennedy refused to eat any more when it happened, and he died soon afterward.

An odd thing about Ted Kennedy's career is that he challenged the incumbent Democratic president, Jimmy Carter, in 1980, alleging that Carter wasn't liberal enough -- although of course Carter was quite liberal, maybe the most liberal president we've ever had. And in 1992 Bill Clinton ushered in a long era of conservatism in the Democratic party that only now is ending, but Kennedy didn't particularly complain about that.

People who were in the know later said that Kennedy regarded the presidency as rightfully his and that he resented a hick like Carter seizing the throne.

Comment

• MST3K: Fire Maidens of Outer Space (1956/1992)

"I'm bored already."

Wanted to re-watch the riff after streaming the standard movie earlier this week.

I don't know whether this is addressed in Chappaquiddick, but Joseph P. Kennedy refused to eat any more when it happened, and he died soon afterward. . .
                    They don't, but they show his poor health, his anger, and mention his soon-following death in the written wrap-up before the credits.
                    You're enough of a political guy that you should check out the movie. It was good. Ultimately, it paints Ted pretty negatively (showing a lot of the spin and outright lying but not getting into the conspiracy level), but a Kennedy supporter could still watch it and take away "he made some serious mistakes, but..."

An odd thing about Ted Kennedy's career is that he challenged the incumbent Democratic president, Jimmy Carter, in 1980, alleging that Carter wasn't liberal enough -- although of course Carter was quite liberal, maybe the most liberal president we've ever had. And in 1992 Bill Clinton ushered in a long era of conservatism in the Democratic party that only now is ending, but Kennedy didn't particularly complain about that...
                    Yeah, Reagan made a similar bid on the RNC against Ford in '76. It's widely considered a political death sentence (at least for an executive future) to make a serious party bid against the incumbent president. Arguably, for Ted it was, for Ron, not.
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 06-25-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• I had to watch a movie literally called "Murder Mystery" even if it starred Adam Sandler.
                      Turned out it was a 50:50 mashup of the tired "Adam Sandler films himself and his friends having holiday in beautiful settings and justifies it with unfunny punchlines every other scene" trope and a really clever comedy with clichéd American tourists somehow getting trapped within an Agatha Christie plot about a killer in British high society.
                      If you replaced Sandler (and Jennifer Aniston, who is terribly miscast as an ordinary blue collar hairdresser), the movie might even be decent. Sure, it would still kill off the two best actors in it first, it would still have Discount Dicaprio as the main Red Herring (I hear Colin Firth was originally considered for that role, and it would have been sooooo much better), and the maharaja is annoying as hell. But the plot works, Dany Boon is amazing (if underused) as the Interpol agent frustrated by Sandler, photography and score are pretty good, and it's always great to see Yukio.

6/10

Comment

• Yokai Monsters: 100 Monsters (1968)

"There are things which man cannot measure or understand."
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 06-21-2019, 02:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                          I had to watch a movie literally called "Murder Mystery" even if it starred Adam Sandler.
                          So that's what I caught my stepdad watching the trailer for! He had something on yesterday I didn't recognize but it seemed oddly familiar, and because the audio for it wasn't English, I didn't realize who was speaking.
                          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• The Beyond (1981)

"We blind see things more clearly."

Comment

• Transformers: The Last Knight (2017)

Comment

• Terror Beneath the Sea (1966)

"Is this the world of the future you dreamed of."

Low budget Japanese co-production of an underwater sci-fi flick. Notable for having an early Sonny Chiba in it.
                                Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 06-25-2019, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X