No announcement yet.

Green Lantern #0 *Preview/Spoilers*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm glad DC is courageous enough to question the country's behavior after 911. I still remember it happened during my college years, when white and black students joined in rare brotherhood to hunt down Islamic terrorists. Many of my classmates had to stay at teachers' apartment to avoid persecution. Fear was indeed powerful, enough to drive people to enjoy hurting innocents.

EDIT: And, regarding Simon being a car thief, I think it's alright. People want to see heroes perfect, it's understandable, but GLC ring selects those with power to overcome great fear, as much as a red ring searches for those with great rage. As long as Simon would start using his power for greater good, does it really matter what race, gender, or criminal background he had before the transformation?
    Cyberium
    Star Sapphire's Love Slave
    Last edited by Cyberium; 09-08-2012, 07:34 PM.
    :Gray Lantern the True Neutral:

Cyberium of Sector 614, you foresee great HOPE in our future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyberium View Post
      I'm glad DC is courageous enough to question the country's behavior after 911. I still remember it happened during my college years, when white and black students joined in rare brotherhood to hunt down Islamic terrorists. Many of my classmates had to stay at teachers' apartment to avoid persecution. Fear was indeed powerful, enough to drive people to enjoy hurting innocents.

EDIT: And, regarding Simon being a car thief, I think it's alright. People want to see heroes perfect, it's understandable, but GLC ring selects those with power to overcome great fear, as much as a red ring searches for those with great rage. As long as Simon would start using his power for greater good, does it really matter what race, gender, or criminal background he had before the transformation?
      Well, for me his background doesn't matter so much as his attitude. Like I said, I'll probably be OK with it if the character realizes that his belief, that a life of crime was an acceptable solution to his problems, was wrong. If he still feels like his crimes were justified by his bad situation in life, and only stops being a criminal because he no longer "needs" to steal, then I'm going to continue to feel that he has no business playing the hero.

Comment

...EDIT: And, regarding Simon being a car thief, I think it's alright. People want to see heroes perfect, it's understandable, but GLC ring selects those with power to overcome great fear, as much as a red ring searches for those with great rage. As long as Simon would start using his power for greater good, does it really matter what race, gender, or criminal background he had before the transformation?
        Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
        Well, for me his background doesn't matter so much as his attitude. Like I said, I'll probably be OK with it if the character realizes that his belief, that a life of crime was an acceptable solution to his problems, was wrong. If he still feels like his crimes were justified by his bad situation in life, and only stops being a criminal because he no longer "needs" to steal, then I'm going to continue to feel that he has no business playing the hero.
        ^This, pretty much. If the crimes were in his past and he had renounced that life some time ago, I'd have no problem with it at all.

And you can't just lump his race and religion in there. Not a single user on here said he couldn't become a GL because of his race or creed. I'd agree with those who said we didn't need a 5th Earth (let alone American) GL, but if we had to have one, sure it makes sense that he (or a theoretical she) represents a different demographic than the others. That's fine.

Comment

I'm glad DC is courageous enough to question the country's behavior after 911. I still remember it happened during my college years, when white and black students joined in rare brotherhood to hunt down Islamic terrorists. Many of my classmates had to stay at teachers' apartment to avoid persecution. Fear was indeed powerful, enough to drive people to enjoy hurting innocents.

I'm always amazed at how people are constantly trying to claim that a group of people that killed three thousand americans are victims. George Bush went out of his way to ask american citizens to hold their anger and to not blame an entire group of people because of a few radical extremists.

Only a hand full of instances of hostility towards Muslims have been prosecuted in a country of 310 million, yet misguided people constantly cry foul about people in mobs hunting down Muslims. Go to a college campus sometime when someone of Jewish belief is threatened by Palestinian students and college professors. Ask Japanese people during WWII what it was like in interment camps.

Water boarding happened to THREE people. Three of the worst of the worst but Johns has this guy boarded to what claim everyone in the US government overreacts because the guy is Muslim? I'm watching 80 year old grandmothers and 6 year old children practically molested to prove we don't 'racially profile' at airports, and Johns wants people to feel Muslims are being picked on?

I don't buy it. Why doesn't Johns have a christian in Egypt get a ring and show all the hate and persecution by Muslims on other religions?

http://www.newsmax.com/KenTimmerman/...1/21/id/383543

I hope that Hal comes back soon, and those that want to read a comic about a victim who unrealistically is picked on because of his religion, more power to them. I just want to read a comic about an individual who inspires the best in people, like Hal did before Johns wrote him.

Comment

• I am interested in seeing how the Justice League reaction to him having Hal's ring will be played out in the next two issues. I am also glad to see they didn't retcon Hal having quit the JL in the revamp.

First post back in several months. Glad to be back.

Comment

• Originally posted by weareborg View Post
              I hope that Hal comes back soon, and those that want to read a comic about a victim who unrealistically is picked on because of his religion, more power to them. I just want to read a comic about an individual who inspires the best in people, like Hal did before Johns wrote him.

Comment

• Originally posted by weareborg View Post

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7ar9cg04W1qcs7kp.gif

Comment

• Wait, is Baz apearing in a justice league issue?
                  Originally posted by IonFan
                  (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                  Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                  If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                  Originally posted by Quaker
                  I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

• Almost, the Justice League is appearing in the next issue and possibly the one after that for GL. The solicit describes them as "wanting" to know what happened to Hal and why Baz has his ring?

Isn't this also the first appearance of the JL in the new 52 outside of their title and also in the present timeline? I might be wrong on that.

Comment

• Unless you don't count all the painfull cameos (maily superman, but with beif apearances of batman and aquaman in swamp-thing, plus batman hascameoed in pretey much every DC title. But as a whole team, I don't think so, especialy not for a whole issue.
                      If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deadpool View Post
                        Wait, is Baz apearing in a justice league issue?
                        He's joining the League.
                        The last fan of 1990s comics
                        Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

• Do you mean he's joining the justice league until Hal returns, or he's joining the justice league of america full time?

Comment

• He'll be in or at least interacting with Justice League first. Then, some time over the next year the government will form JLA and he'll join that.

Comment

• Right. Didn't the governement form JLI?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deadpool View Post
                                Right. Didn't the governement form JLI?
                                The United Nations did. The solicits for JLA say it falls under Argus, which is the super secret American government division.

Comment

Working...
                                X