This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
    I remember seeing this in theaters. Everyone cracked up at that line.
    Yup, same here. Watching that on opening night was one of the best nights of my life.

Comment

• I remember a substitute teacher I had for 12th grade English, Mr. Brown, I think he was. He made a claim about the film's over-the-top bloodiness and how ridiculous it was. Literally, I called him out on it in front of everyone.

I asked him if he even read the rejected scripts online (I read probably all of them, terrible as each was), and he said yes, and that the final film was still way too bloody, geysers of gore everywhere. I told him he just didn't get slasher flicks.

He was a good sport about it, I understood his concern then and still do now, but he just didn't get the genre, let alone the film.
      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

I remember a substitute teacher I had for 12th grade English, Mr. Brown, I think he was. He made a claim about the film's over-the-top bloodiness and how ridiculous it was. Literally, I called him out on it in front of everyone.

I asked him if he even read the rejected scripts online (I read probably all of them, terrible as each was), and he said yes, and that the final film was still way too bloody, geysers of gore everywhere. I told him he just didn't get slasher flicks.

He was a good sport about it, I understood his concern then and still do now, but he just didn't get the genre, let alone the film.
        Actually, they talk about this in Crystal Lake Memories; essentially saying that the final fight between Freddy and Jason is gorier than the standard entry in either series because it's not quick kills, but stab after stab with fingers, an arm, and a head being cut off and lots of impaling. Essentially, they attributed it to Ronny Yu and compared it to the over-the-top gory fights in The Bride with White Hair. I would agree that that fight is gorier per-minute than most Freddy or Jason films, but I would argue that it is not out of place for either the tone of the movie (which is itself very over the top) or the buildup that fans felt for this match up.

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
        Yup, same here. Watching that on opening night was one of the best nights of my life.
        I can't recall if I saw it opening night or not. If I didn't I saw it soon after and it was still a packed house where everyone reacted appropriately to the jumps and laughs.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 03-07-2015, 03:39 AM.

Comment

• I thought the gore factor in the movie was funny because it was so over the top. It was so obvious that Yu was using old school pneumatic pumps with the blood squirting at such power. It was great.

Comment

• Thor: The Dark World (2013)

"Ian!
            -Selvig!
            -Mew-mew!"

Just got around to this. I thought it was alright (I went in with low expectations). I like seeing more of Asgard.

Comment

• Mm, I personally think it's the weakest of the Phase II flicks. (At least until I get a chance to see Ant-Man)

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                Thor: The Dark World (2013)

-Mew-mew!"
                Seriously, IMHO, Thor is 50% Darcy awesomeness, 49% Loki awesomeness, and 1% that Helmsworth guy.

Comment

• I still need to see that in full. Only caught glimpses so far.

The Monuments Men (2014)

"I bet you're wishing that German shot you right now."

A team of art historians and architects try to save priceless works of art and structures before they are destroyed by the Nazis forever.

This sounds like it would be boring, but it's actually very, very good. The whole thing is produced, written, directed, and starring George Clooney, and it has a damn great cast (Murray, Goodman, Blanchett, Damon, and others). You see some truly great visuals, there's wity exchanges between the men (especially Murray and the guy he's with, because they don't much like each other), and you see some damn fine works of the human imagination. I think it gets a little dumb when the Soviets start bearing down to steal the art for themselves as "reparations" for losing millions of soldiers to war, but otherwise this is a magnificent film about a vital element to both the war effort then and human civilization for all time.

Very highly recommend.

Comment

I still need to see that in full. Only caught glimpses so far.
                    I jest, but in all seriousness, it's a good film. The main villain was a bit "eh" but I liked it very much. Plus the Borg Queen is in it. Not as the Borg Queen, though. Alice Krige. She gets props just for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by fearless2814.1 View Post
                      Mm, I personally think it's the weakest of the Phase II flicks. (At least until I get a chance to see Ant-Man)
                      Is Iron Man 3 Phase 2? Because I liked Thor 2 more than Iron Man 3, but I'm not claiming it was great in any event. I'm not a Marvel guy, but I like Thor and I like him more in Asgard and as he's related to the actual mythology.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                      ...The Monuments Men (2014) ... This sounds like it would be boring, but it's actually very, very good. . .
                      If you are interested in the topic and the history of how art was saved during WWII (there was a lot more done by the French themselves and other Europeans), check out an excellent documentary called The Rape of Europa. Just the story of how the Mona Lisa was smuggled out of occupied France was cool. It's amazing how the Monuments Men, the people of the Louvre, and others put their lives on the line to preserve culture. The documentary also cover how the Nazis viewed and exploited art. Fascinating stuff.

Comment

• I'll probably not check it out, because I have a metric ton of stuff to read and watch as it is (hell, I'm still running out of reasons to keep Netflix), but thanks for the info. If I ever spot it, I just might buy it off your word alone.

Comment

• Twitch of the Death Nerve (aka Bay of Blood) [1971]

"You're full of hot dogs and Cadillacs. You have no music in your soul."

I had watched this about a year and half ago but couldn't remember much and had seen or read three references to it in the past couple weeks (as people claimed it was or wasn't an influence on Friday the 13th and other slashers). Man, this thing has so many twists and turns (including that ending!!), I still am not sure if I have the plot right.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                          I'll probably not check it out, because I have a metric ton of stuff to read and watch as it is (hell, I'm still running out of reasons to keep Netflix), but thanks for the info. If I ever spot it, I just might buy it off your word alone.
                          I get that. I maxed out my queue on Netflix (and have a list of more to add when the space is available), which means 500 titles. It's depressing to think about when I take a week with 1 disc.

Just thought I'd throw out that title to put on the radar of anyone who liked Monuments Men (which I also dug).
                          Space Cop
                          The Dandy
                          Last edited by Space Cop; 03-09-2015, 12:31 AM.

Comment

• Chappie (2015)

robojac
                            Corps Honor Guard
                            Last edited by robojac; 03-09-2015, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006)

"You're representing me now. What you think, I'm gonna let you roll in a Hyundai?"

Comment

• If I Stay - I thought this was just okay. They spent far too much time developing Chloe and Jamie's relationship instead of what happened to the family after the accident. To me, I thought that was more important, so the film kind of dragged along.

Comment

Working...
                                X