X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DC Comics Thread

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-c...er-110531.html

A fully revamped DC Universe for a "more modern and diverse 21st century", over 50 new #1 issues, a Geoff Johns-Jim Lee Justice League, and the first of the major comic book publishers to fully embrace "same-day" digital distribution...

That is the breaking news DC Entertainment Tuesday afternoon, finally and officially breaking their silence about their post-Flashpoint plans for their flagship line of comic book titles.

The center of intense rumor and speculation for months now, DC confirmed today that the fictional shared universe of Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Green Lanterm and more will undergo a revamp of their oft-rewritten 76 year-plus history of shared continuity.

Geoff Johns promised USA Today "a focus on the interpersonal relationships within DC's trademark superteam." "What's the human aspect behind all these costumes?" he tells the publication. "That's what I wanted to explore."

The revamp will reportedly involve "introducing readers to stories that are grounded in each character's specific legend but also reflect today's real-world themes and events."

Jim Lee reportedly "spearheaded" the redesign of more than 50 costumes to make characters "more identifiable and accessible to comic fans new and old."

"We looked at what was going on in the marketplace and felt we really want to inject new life in our characters and line," added co-publisher Dan DiDio. "This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

Along with the revamp, and sure to cause uproar among those who buy comic books as collectibles, all DC Universe titles will also be renumbered with new #1 issues, including the industry's two longest-running titles - Action Comics, the birthplace of Superman - and Detective Comics, the home of Batman and namesake of the publisher - the former of which recently published its 900th issue, with the latter in the 880s.
    The first officially announced title and creative team of the new era was revealed as well. DC Entertainment co-publisher Jim Lee and Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns will be teaming as artist and writer, respectively, on Justice League #1, launching August 31st and starring Batman, Superman,Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman.
    Finally, DC also announced they plan to make all of their titles available for sale in digital format on the same day as their publlished counterparts, starting with Justice League #1. While the decision could probably be described as inevitable, the announcement will still likely be poorly received among some segments of "Direct Market" comic book retailers, whose stores account for the current backbone of monthly comic book sales.

DC has previously taken steps to ease the eventual move to fully same-day digital distribution, announcng in March a partnership with digital distributor comiXology allowing individual retailers to sell digital editions of DC comics through their websites, for a share of the online retail price.
    The publisher also sent a letter directly to direct market retailers addressing their announcement. In it, SVP, Sales, DC Entertainment Bob Wayne told retailers, "DC Comics will support this initiative with an innovative mix of publicity, promotional efforts and retailer incentives designed to maximize your opportunity to increase your DC sales. We will discuss additional details of these incentives when we get closer to solicitation later in June."

"We're allowing people who have never bought a comic book in their lives to download them on portable media devices and take a look," Lee said. "Having the ability to give people access to these comics with one button click means we're going to get a lot of new readers."

Lee told USA Today what makes this plan so ambitious is that it's not just about changes in characters or costumes but setting the stage for how comic books will be consumed in the future.

"We're trying to set the table for the DC Universe's future success and health."

More information, including other creative teams, titles, and character changes, is expected with September 2011 solicitations, which should be released Monday June 13, 2011.

Reached for any immediate reaction to DC's new digital publication policy, Marvel Comics declined to comment Tuesday afternoon.
    Superman
    0.00%
    Batman
    5.00%
    Green Lantern Hal Jordan
    0.00%
    Green Lantern Kyle Rayner
    10.00%
    Flash Barry Allen
    0.00%
    Flash Wally West
    5.00%
    A DC Character missing from the reboot
    80.00%

Originally posted by W.West View Post
    I'll wait to see what really happens with my favorite titles and creators before I enter full on panic mode, but as of right now I just don't know how to feel. I can't be mad at a bunch of new #1 issues, especially if they showcase a BUNCH of characters that don't normally get spotlighted, and I definitely can't be mad at them all being available digitally that same day.

But on the other fucking hand...

"a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

that quote pisses me the fuck off. It screams "Fuck you long term reader, and fuck all the character development we've had over 75 years. Oh and fuck your favorite legacy character too because we're moving away from all that shit....BITCH!"

Originally posted by W.West View Post
    WTF is up with Jim Lee and that fucking choker! Its embarrassing.
    I've never agreed with West more.. I'm not going to freak out yet.. but AHHHH

Comment

A reply to the other thread

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
      If these stories are told well and there's a consistent editorial vision that is maintained then this could be the best thing that ever happened to the DCU.
      Riiiiight. Because the fact that there hasn't EVER been "a consistent editorial vison that is maintained" before shouldn't make us pessimistic about it magically happening now....

"A consistent editorial vision that is maintained" would have been the answer to any number of problems at MANY points in DC's history, WITHOUT the gimmick of simultaneously restarting every title. Pardon me if I don't have a great deal of confidence that this is going to actually result in that, rather than being a gimmick which will be discarded, piecemeal, down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
        "We looked at what was going on in the marketplace and felt we really want to inject new life in our characters and line," added co-publisher Dan DiDio. "This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."
        This to me feel really close to what Marvel said about their Ultimate universe. I like Jim Lee but whenever he designs a costume I have to cringe, it always looks campy to me, look at Superman in that small shot with the high necked collar, it looks more like a cosplayer gone wrong than anything else.

Comment

Jim Lee is redesigning 50 new costumes beyond what we will see in the new JLA book. I really really hope that we get to see some of them. I do like what is in that pic though. However I notice something...Hal isn't wearing a ring...or is he? Hal Goes lefty in the new DCU?

Darth_Andrea

Comment

His left hand looks to be glowing from what I can see but I wonder if the image is flipped. It happens from time to time with articles.

Comment

Man, this has to be what DC fans felt back in 1985 during COIE.

Comment

but...
                i've only just recently started really getting into green lantern

and they're giving me a jumping off point already?!

Comment

I saw that too D_A! i just dont even want to think about it until more info comes out.

Comment

Would be cool of they got rid of the color Corps and brought some dead characters back (Bzzd, Mogo, Kreon, Kehaan and Laira).

Also getting rid of that fucking silly Legion story with the downfall of the Corps.

Comment

i just dont understand this at all! what was the point of stories like "brightest day" and "war of the green lanterns" where the effects will shape the future of everything from that point on?? its like we're reading these stories for nothing now. with this reboot im sure stories like "Reign of Superman", "Sinestro Corp War", "Knightfall" etc never existed! Go figure, i cant remember the last time i've been this disappointed in DC

Comment

Two quick thoughts:

* Without a shadow of a doubt it's temporary. If it's not, it'll become relegated to some kind of sub-imprint after when the regular DCU comes back.

* If they're bothering with something like this, what is the point of the Earth-1 projects?

Comment

Originally posted by twoeightonefour View Post
                          His left hand looks to be glowing from what I can see but I wonder if the image is flipped. It happens from time to time with articles.
                          Except the "S" on Superman is forward...

Comment

Originally posted by chosenone85 View Post
                            i just dont understand this at all! what was the point of stories like "brightest day" and "war of the green lanterns" where the effects will shape the future of everything from that point on?? its like we're reading these stories for nothing now. with this reboot im sure stories like "Reign of Superman", "Sinestro Corp War", "Knightfall" etc never existed! Go figure, i cant remember the last time i've been this disappointed in DC
                            But back in 1985, it was the exact same thing. However just because DC is "restarting" doesn't you can't go back and read those stories.

Who care if it "counts" or not.

According to some of ya'll standards of what counts (Kingdome Come, Superman: Red Son) Don't count yet are some of the best stories DC comics ever produced.
                            Marvelous Iggy
                            God Of Turtles
                            Last edited by Marvelous Iggy; 05-31-2011, 09:37 PM.

Comment

In any case, I'm thrilled about this. I'm way behind in organizing my comics and comic boxes... this will give me a nice buffer of time in which to do so in which I won't be adding to the piles.

Comment

Working...
                              X