This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1) That Snowbeast poster is awesome.

2) The ending isn't something that sits well with a lot of people, at least "for a film," but otherwise I do agree the picture overall is very well done.
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Virtuosity (1995)

"Just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family inside me doesn't mean we can't be friends."

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
      . . . The ending isn't something that sits well with a lot of people, at least "for a film," but otherwise I do agree the picture overall is very well done.
      Doesn't sit well? I thought it kind of ended abruptly, but am I missing something offensive? I could have missed something. I think I was bagging and boarding while watching the last few minutes.
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 01-12-2017, 03:28 AM.

Comment

• Highlight for spoilers:

*There's a fair amount (read: a lot) a build up that makes Llewellyn and Anton into characters that will have a final showdown, especially when they have that final conversation before Moss is killed by the Mexican gangsters, but there's zero payoff for this because of said death

*Anton then murders Mrs. Moss, and walks away from what many viewers would feel to be a karmic-reprisal end for him

*Jones then has his "I had a dream" talk with his own wife and then the film just ends very suddenly, with no chance that Anton will be tracked down and dealt with, or really any sense of closure; hell, he even kills one of the guys the company sent to handle the matter, so that dude wasn't going to lend a hand

I can admit, as I've heard others, that "for a book" it might work out a bit more tolerably, probably all the elaboration of text that you don't always get from a visual, but it just felt like a filled balloon that was emptied the same way it was filled instead of being popped.

I guess it's fair to say that a sense of conclusiveness eludes many viewers and that the ending just seems to happen, and that's why it rubs some people a bit. I do like it, but I can't say I'm entirely happen with its finale.

Comment

• The Chinese Connection (1972)

"You're the wrong color, so beat it."

Highlight for spoilers...
          Ha. Now I see. I thought 1 & 2 were both comments about Snowbeast and was trying to figure out a controversy with the ending (though I do think Snowbeast could've had a more satisfying Grizzly-like ending).

Now, I see you meant the first and second movies I posted (in retrospect, more logical). Yeah, I'd like to read the book and see to what extent that may reflect the source, but the jarring and unsatisfying nature of it seemed very in-line with the Coen brothers off-beat sensibilities in general. Most of their stuff have moments that seem extraneous or characters acting bizarrely.

Comment

• Hidden Figures (2016)

&

The Good Dinosaur (2015)

Comment

• My full moon movie:

Curse of the Werewolf (1961)

"I didn't go out."

The Penguins of Madagascar: The Movie (2014)

"We are the North Wind, and no one, NO ONE, breaks the Wind."
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 01-13-2017, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• Finding Dory (2016)

Comment

• Underworld 5 was surprisingly unterrible

Comment

• Killdozer (1974)

"There's only one way to say goodbye to an Irishman."

Final Destination 5 (2011)

"Death doesn't like to be cheated."

Better than I expected. The ending was a fun twist.
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 01-14-2017, 01:53 AM.

Comment

• Warrior (2011)

Comment

• The Hunter (2011)

"This is an important job. No room for mistakes.
                        -So don't make any."

When a shady business gets wind that there may be a surviving member of the thought-extinct Tasmanian tiger species, they send in Dafoe to bag one. When he becomes too attached to the widow and children of an eco warrior who house him (under cover as a university researcher), he puts them and himself in danger.

And my Jason choice last night was . . .

Friday the 13th: Part 3 in 3D (1982)

"Sorry, and I'm not an a***ole, I'm an actor.
                        -Same thing."
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 01-15-2017, 03:31 AM.

Comment

• Everest (2015)

Comment

• On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

"Spare the rod and spoil the child, eh?"

James Bond is still hunting Ernst Stavro Blofeld, supreme leader of SPECTRE, but is taken off the case and must work unofficially to catch the madman using another crime lord's network while also connecting with a countess's feelings.

Probably not the only Bond film with a reputation, but probably the most "infamous" (if that word fits).

Personally, I didn't have much trouble accepting it as a 00 flick, but I only minded Lazenby for one thing: his lack of bulk. Connery was a heavier guy, I swear, almost stocky, and Lazenby looks like he's slimmer. But I could tell he was doing as best an imitation of Connery's Bond, and for the most part it works.

Telly Savalas was a good Blofeld, a bit more animated than Pleasance but certainly charismatic and enjoyable. Actually, his dynamism is probably where Waltz got the cheekier elements for his own portrayal.

My dad was pleased to see Diana Rigg again, and naturally quizzed me on The Avengers, as she played Mrs. Peel.

I liked the settings, especially the majestic shots you get of the Swiss Alps. The "clinic" also had some good aesthetics to it, and I'm a bit reminded of Dr. No's island lair (then again, he was an officer of the organization, so...).

Given what I'd previously heard of the film, of how James Bond's story more or less is meant to end with Service, I briefly wondered how the flick would tie things up considering I clearly remember Blofeld playing a further role in the franchise. But then the ending happened and I got my answer. I thought it was a bit quick, that the next film would have such a thing, but the matter is done either way.

I did feel the pacing was a little clipped, but I shouldn't complain given that the whole thing takes nearly two and a half hours to watch.

Overall a good film, sorely misunderstood, but solid in its own right.

Comment

• Duel of the Tao Tough (1981)

"You bucket of bull***t, say your Buddhist prayers!"

F.I.S.T. (1978)

"Nobody's 100%."

Between Rocky I and II, Stallone starred in (and co-wrote) this pretty decent union movie that's a thinly disguised look at Jimmy Hoffa and the
                              Teamsters. I thought they did a good job of portraying him as neither angel nor devil.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) . . .
                              Overall a good film, sorely misunderstood, but solid in its own right.
                              I think it's a well done Bond film and yep, the setting is top notch. But it is my least favorite of the official productions. Part of it is that Lazenby is my least favorite Bond. But if I'm honest, I have to admit that part of it is that I'm attached to Bond (after so many hours of watching and reading him) and the death of Tracy (I think the true love of his life with Vesper the next contender) is a real bummer. I always feel for him and that last shot/line is such a downer! I'm going to not cry now.

Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 01-17-2017, 02:18 AM.

Comment

• Zootopia (2016)

Comment

Working...
                                X